Welcome! I'm definitely partial to the first hen. 😉 I only have hatchery stock that I'm hoping to make decent over the course of the next 5-10 years, nothing of good quality.

I don't know if you've heard of Kenny Troiano, but he's got a lot of good free stuff on creating and maintaining your own strain without having to add new blood, so if that's a goal check him out. A lot of people knock him, but he takes all the old wives' tales out of breeding and replaces it with sound genetics, which is refreshing.

I think I speak for everyone in here when I say feel free to post all you want. We love seeing everyone's birds!
Thankyou, with the first girl I am not sure which of my old girls is her mother. But my best bet would be this one on the left.
IMG_20230803_214416.jpg

The hen is supposed to be the key to size in a strain, so it's not surprising that her mother is also small. She's much easier to see than in that first picture you posted, and she does look nice and balanced. Speed is a surprising bonus, with the Asil? How does she compare with the American Games and such?

I'm curious how you got that wild type pattern from a wheaten. I've got one pullet showing signs of not being pure for wheaten, who I like the color of, but not the size, so she would have to really prove herself in other areas to be used as a breeder. My birds are a long way from any color selection being done, I just wanted to know if that's typical.

Hello, not wanting tho start another thread, however i am interested in compiling a list of different aseel breeds. Does anyone have any good resources where i can start ? Are there any good books that document this ancient breed ?

I can give you a couple sites I found helpful, but it seems information is scarce, unless I'm just not looking in the right places.

http://globalasilclub.blogspot.com/2011/11/ancestors-of-todays-asils-and-all.html?m=1
https://roostergen.com/history-and-structure-of-asil-rooster/
https://gamefowl-news.livejournal.com/2309.html

ETA: the book 'Oriental Gamefowl' by Horst W. Shmudde is supposed to be helpful, but it is pricey at 70ish dollars through Amazon. I've never read it.

Last edited:
The hen is supposed to be the key to size in a strain, so it's not surprising that her mother is also small. She's much easier to see than in that first picture you posted, and she does look nice and balanced. Speed is a surprising bonus, with the Asil? How does she compare with the American Games and such?

I'm curious how you got that wild type pattern from a wheaten. I've got one pullet showing signs of not being pure for wheaten, who I like the color of, but not the size, so she would have to really prove herself in other areas to be used as a breeder. My birds are a long way from any color selection being done, I just wanted to know if that's typical.
American Games are way faster than her for sure. Aseels are bred for endurance and hitting power, unlike the American Games bred for speed. For American Games that fight with artificial long spurs it's very important to ensure maximum number of strikes in first few seconds. For aseels it is more important to stay active and healthy for a long time since the fighting is without artificial spurs. Let's say the difference of a 100m athlete and a 16000 m marathon runner.
I think the color is just a shade of the red she inherited from the father since her mother have given me only grey offsprings in the past

Summer rain has been hard on my Asil mother. She's down from 22 babies to 4. It's sad to see such loss, but at the same time I'm sure the survivors are tough as nails
View attachment 3598445
At times this happens, for me only 1 chick survived in the last two hatches. Both of those hatches were highly anticipated by me for a long time. One of those hens I used only lay less than 20 eggs a year and with only one chick now, it will drag my plans to mud.
Her with the chick,
IMG_20230804_025411.jpg

Again Her
IMG_20230804_025500.jpg

And again the chick, they don't even look alike... :(
IMG_20230804_025652.jpg

Hope she gets her mother's size. Her mother is 14 inches at shoulders and weigh nearly 9 pounds.

American Games are way faster than her for sure. Aseels are bred for endurance and hitting power, unlike the American Games bred for speed. For American Games that fight with artificial long spurs it's very important to ensure maximum number of strikes in first few seconds. For aseels it is more important to stay active and healthy for a long time since the fighting is without artificial spurs. Let's say the difference of a 100m athlete and a 16000 m marathon runner.
I think the color is just a shade of the red she inherited from the father since her mother have given me only grey offsprings in the past
American games are not all bred for speed.

Back
Top Bottom