The Door Dilemma

BrandonsBirbs

Thanks HopKat for my PFM ♥
Feb 22, 2022
Berkshire, England
64_84_104_PZ_metal_garden_shed.jpg

The doors to our coop open like this shed, they slide inwards and close by sliding together and using a lock.

I wanted to make them so that I can enter but no chickens will run out, I also need to be aware there are small dogs running wild here so need to prevent them getting in!

I also need to cut a chicken door out, what's the best way to do this on the coregated metal? It's going to have huge gaps around it?

Personally, I think a double doorway is always useful. Basically just a frame and walls/fencing making a secondary entrance like you'd have in an aviary, just big enough so you can fit inside it while both doors are closed. That way, you'd have absolutely no chance for anyone to get in or out if you don't want them to. If a bird would get out past you while you're entering, they'd just go right into the already closed secondary entrance, and if one of the dogs would get in while you're walking in, they'd only get inside that secondary entrance and you could get them out before closing and opening the sliding door.
You could also make it a little wider and use it as a small storage space for feed and such.

As for the chicken door, are you connecting it to a run? You could get one of those doggie doors with a flap, I think it'd look quite nice and it keeps warmth in. Personally, I use an old repurposed window as a door for my ducks, and I'll be installing some vinyl to keep the wind out when the coop door is open.

The doors to our coop open like this shed, they slide inwards and close by sliding together and using a lock.
The slider tracks at the bottom of doors are going to become quickly clogged with coop bedding and not hardly work, if at all.
Is this the shed you will be using?
If not, post pics of the actual shed.

Cutting into metal can be tricky, you need the right tools. Any opening will need to be frames with wood for strength.

The slider tracks at the bottom of doors are going to become quickly clogged with coop bedding and not hardly work, if at all.
Is this the shed you will be using?
If not, post pics of the actual shed.

Cutting into metal can be tricky, you need the right tools. Any opening will need to be frames with wood for strength.
The shed is the same, just larger. I cut into the metal fine with a drill and tin snips, worked fine for doing the ventilation. I understand the tracks will be clogged easily but hopefully I can think of a solution, good point.

Personally, I think a double doorway is always useful. Basically just a frame and walls/fencing making a secondary entrance like you'd have in an aviary, just big enough so you can fit inside it while both doors are closed. That way, you'd have absolutely no chance for anyone to get in or out if you don't want them to. If a bird would get out past you while you're entering, they'd just go right into the already closed secondary entrance, and if one of the dogs would get in while you're walking in, they'd only get inside that secondary entrance and you could get them out before closing and opening the sliding door.
You could also make it a little wider and use it as a small storage space for feed and such.

As for the chicken door, are you connecting it to a run? You could get one of those doggie doors with a flap, I think it'd look quite nice and it keeps warmth in. Personally, I use an old repurposed window as a door for my ducks, and I'll be installing some vinyl to keep the wind out when the coop door is open.
That's the idea I had before, I don't really have many resources available to me at the moment to do this unfortunately (not much wood), but I'll have a think to see if I could do this and work out what I have. Thank you!

Love the ideas for the chicken door! Just worried that there would be air gaps all around but I'm sure I can figure that out!

That's the idea I had before, I don't really have many resources available to me at the moment to do this unfortunately (not much wood), but I'll have a think to see if I could do this and work out what I have. Thank you!

Love the ideas for the chicken door! Just worried that there would be air gaps all around but I'm sure I can figure that out!
No problem! I hope you can get it all figured out 🥰
You could always try out a netting type thing on the doors. Kinda like those magnetic bug nets. Maybe it would discourage curious chickens from leaving through a gap as you enter 🤔

No problem! I hope you can get it all figured out 🥰
You could always try out a netting type thing on the doors. Kinda like those magnetic bug nets. Maybe it would discourage curious chickens from leaving through a gap as you enter 🤔
Oh that's genius! It would only have to be whilst I'm there, the door won't be opened with me being there!

Back
Top Bottom