The Duck Duck Story

Duck Duck is doing great. He still has a little problem when he drinks. He throws his head onto his back and falls onto his bottom. I guess he'll never be 100%. I've got pics from his first excursion outside....I'll upload 'em in a few days.
So happy to hear Duck Duck is going good..
wee.gif

Duck Duck says to tell all the BYC goose-lovers, "Honk, honk, honkhonkhonkhonk, honk, honkhonk, honk and honk."

Loosely translated I think that means: "Hi BYCers. Thanks for all the good wishes. I'm loving life."

I'm thinking Duck Duck is a Toulouse because he's losing the black on his beak. The first 2 pics were taken about a week ago and the rest today and his beak is a lot lighter now than it was a week ago.

Taken last week. Duck Duck's first weed which was quickly followed by his second, third and ...... Nom, nom, nom.

Hi ya'll. I'm eatin' weeds.

Here's a little video of how Duck Duck drinks. He used to fall on his bottom every time he drank, but it's slowly going away.
This vid was taken today, 05/31/12. Oh my how he's grown.

I don't know if the other geese like him or not, but he had a captive audience.
The ring leader is the African in the middle on top of the stool.

Duck Duck asks: "What ARE those noisy things?"

Last edited:
I love the video of DuckDuck!
I'm glad you rescued him. I can't believe someone would throw a peeping, cracked egg in the trash. Good luck with you and DuckDuck!

I love the video of DuckDuck!
I'm glad you rescued him. I can't believe someone would throw a peeping, cracked egg in the trash. Good luck with you and DuckDuck!
HIs egg wasn't cracked. He had fully hatched with wry neck and couldn't sit up. He laid on his back with his feet in the air and his neck twisted and underneath him. He was a mess. The guy figured he was going to die anyway so he put him in an old feed bag of empty egg shells and eggs that didn't hatch.

Luckily for Duck Duck, this man didn't take the "trash" outside and dump it. Duck Duck spent 4 days in that trash bag sitting on a cold basement floor until I came over and heard his cries and saved him. I can tell you, though, that the first night I almost put him out of his misery because if I didn't hold him in an upright position, he was on his back screaming with legs flailing. It was hard to watch and even harder to listen to. I had decided to give him 24 hours and, if no improvement, I was going to euthanize him. But, by the next morning, he could sit upright if I placed him in that position and that was after only 1 dose of vit. E and a few sips of selenium-laced water.

Good for you for saving the little guy! You just know that this little one will grow up to be the most loving goose! It makes me really angry to hear stories like this
somad.gif
I understand that breeders and hatcheries cannot sell unhealthy or malformed hatchlings, but they should have the decency to euthanize them instead of throwing them in the trash to die a slow, painful, lonely death.

Duck Duck says to tell all the BYC goose-lovers, "Honk, honk, honkhonkhonkhonk, honk, honkhonk, honk and honk."

Loosely translated I think that means: "Hi BYCers. Thanks for all the good wishes. I'm loving life."

I'm thinking Duck Duck is a Toulouse because he's losing the black on his beak. The first 2 pics were taken about a week ago and the rest today and his beak is a lot lighter now than it was a week ago.

Taken last week. Duck Duck's first weed which was quickly followed by his second, third and ...... Nom, nom, nom.

Hi ya'll. I'm eatin' weeds.

Here's a little video of how Duck Duck drinks. He used to fall on his bottom every time he drank, but it's slowly going away.
This vid was taken today, 05/31/12. Oh my how he's grown.

I don't know if the other geese like him or not, but he had a captive audience.
The ring leader is the African in the middle on top of the stool.

Duck Duck asks: "What ARE those noisy things?"
Oh my goodness I cannot tell you how blessed I was to see Duck Duck doing so good. It's just awesome..
love.gif

HIs egg wasn't cracked. He had fully hatched with wry neck and couldn't sit up. He laid on his back with his feet in the air and his neck twisted and underneath him. He was a mess. The guy figured he was going to die anyway so he put him in an old feed bag of empty egg shells and eggs that didn't hatch.

Luckily for Duck Duck, this man didn't take the "trash" outside and dump it. Duck Duck spent 4 days in that trash bag sitting on a cold basement floor until I came over and heard his cries and saved him. I can tell you, though, that the first night I almost put him out of his misery because if I didn't hold him in an upright position, he was on his back screaming with legs flailing. It was hard to watch and even harder to listen to. I had decided to give him 24 hours and, if no improvement, I was going to euthanize him. But, by the next morning, he could sit upright if I placed him in that position and that was after only 1 dose of vit. E and a few sips of selenium-laced water.
Oh my. I can't believe Duck Duck lived that long in the trash can! If he was still peeping in the trash can on the 4th day of no food and no water, Duck Duck must be strong. I don't know why anyone would throw a gosling in the trash can. Lucky for Duck Duck, someone rescued him!

Back
Top Bottom