The Duck Thread

I have no idea what he did. I was worried about the other foot and just noticed this one was messed up. Its not bleeding but it was dirty. I'm going to work on pics and I never even thought about a shoe!

I'm at a loss. I had no idea it was this bad or how long ago. The skin his hard and started sluffing off after the bath yesterday. I'm not sure what to do.

20180203_145335.jpg
20180203_145342.jpg
20180203_145412.jpg

This is the cut foot. The next pic is of the one that had been swollen. I had given him baytril and the swelling is gone but the skin and webbing is hard now. Is this frost bite?? I haven't had any other ducks get it. I checked today to be sure and I'm pretty sure everyone is okay.
20180203_145435.jpg

So its frostbite. The one foot is looking better but I think he might loose the left foot. Do any of you have ducks missing a foot? I have a chicken with no toes and she gets around well but not sure about a big Muscovy male. His foot looks like its shrinking up now.
20180206_132744.jpg

Yes, I have had a Welsh Harlequin duck that lost a foot to frostbite. She got around all right. I would suggest being careful because when it comes off it will likely bleed a bit and be an area open to infection. Bandaging for a few weeks or months while it scabs over is a good idea.

Edit: how come this bird got frostbite? It seems rather strange for it to happen spontaneously.

I'm still not sure. I work pretty much all weekend nonstop so I'm not sure when it started but I went out last Monday and saw he was limping. When I got ahold of him his left foot was swollen very badly. I gave him baytril, swelling went away. Then I noticed his other foot was pretty messed up. I took him into house and started doing warm water baths. A toe and some webbing fell off the right foot and the left foot started shriveling. He finally came out of cage to hang out with me tonight and I can tell the foots dead now. I checked all of my other 40ish ducks and they are fine. I feel so bad but I'm not sure what else I should have done.
I'm going to keep him close by till it falls off and I'll definitely wrap it when the time comes. Its shrinking quickly.

His whole leg was swollen not just the foot I should say and I moved him up to the porch with hay always underfoot once I noticed the swelling so he wasn't out in snow or elements. Weather has been rough here but I always put down fresh straw for them to stand/sleep on.

I'm still not sure. I work pretty much all weekend nonstop so I'm not sure when it started but I went out last Monday and saw he was limping. When I got ahold of him his left foot was swollen very badly. I gave him baytril, swelling went away. Then I noticed his other foot was pretty messed up. I took him into house and started doing warm water baths. A toe and some webbing fell off the right foot and the left foot started shriveling. He finally came out of cage to hang out with me tonight and I can tell the foots dead now. I checked all of my other 40ish ducks and they are fine. I feel so bad but I'm not sure what else I should have done.
I'm going to keep him close by till it falls off and I'll definitely wrap it when the time comes. Its shrinking quickly.
Sounds good. Give him some Epsom salt soaks—they really do draw infection out.

Back
Top Bottom