The Duck Thread

How precious is This? Candled tonight. I have the calender marked next Friday for lock down. Just guessing....

Well, it has happened again. I may have a problem. The first step is admitting it, right? I started out in February wanting to add some different duck breeds to the flock. Stumbled upon a mixed batch of some at TSC and you have to buy 6 at one I was at, so I did. And amazingly ended up with 4 very cool runners. Not the breed I was looking for, but was so pleased with them, they're awesome. I wanted Cayugas to start but I realized one of my lil runners were blue, I quickly decided I needed some Blue Swedish in addition to the Cayugas I was already seeking. I went to feed store last month just knowing I would be ok as I was NOT getting anymore chickens. Well, they had just gotten some Cayugas in a few hours before I got there. So, I'm sure you can all see where this is going. I came home with 3 Cayugas and a mystery breed...lol. That brings us to today, again, I went to feed store to purchase my monthly supply of feed. I walked around the chicks n ducks area as not to even look at them. My daughter was with me, as I'm loading up feed, she says, "They have Swedish Blues"! I said Oh No! My poor boyfriend is shaking his head, No...lol. We came home with 3...I convinced myself and him that this is much cheaper for me cuz I wouldn't have to have them shipped from hatchery and was last breed on my list this year. I was actually going to wait til next spring to order any, but this would be much better since only have to pay the $4.99 each. So, now for a pic of these sweet Lil webs.
IMG_20170623_155348_193061892.jpg
IMG_20170623_155501_544073917.jpg
IMG_20170623_155610_-2106212951.jpg
IMG_20170623_155637_967968404.jpg

Well, I and my birds are settling in to our new place nicely. All has been good except neighbors let their dogs run and one got ahold of my Cayuga, Pip. She is doing ok but he got her pretty good 3 days ago and she is missing some back feathers and a puncture and some scrapes and is limping where he had a hold of her when I came out and rescued her. Needless to say, I got BB gun out there now. I'm in process of putting up fencing also. My ducks did get to take there first trip to the creek today. Was a bit of an adventure to get them back up to their house this evening but they seemed to enjoy their swim in something other than a baby pool. Still not sure who is laying but it's almost everyday. I love these guys they're awesome!
IMG_20170826_190633.jpg
IMG_20170826_190604.jpg
IMG_20170826_185509448.jpg
IMG_20170817_165737.jpg
IMG_20170817_165503544.jpg
IMG_20170826_185738468.jpg

Here are most of my duckies!
Black Swedish is a drake named Junior, we had a black Swedish duck named Black Bullet (6 yr old named her) but I think she ate a Lily or mushroom and died :hit

KC is a drake named Popcorn

Pekins are Marshmallow and Creme (Marshmallow I think is a duck, and Creme I think is a drake)

We will be giving some away, but just not sure which ones yet.

Attachments

• IMG_3600.JPG
    IMG_3600.JPG
    534.2 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_3604.JPG
    IMG_3604.JPG
    420.7 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_3606.JPG
    IMG_3606.JPG
    399.2 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_3607.JPG
    IMG_3607.JPG
    417.6 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_3611.JPG
    IMG_3611.JPG
    302.1 KB · Views: 5
Great Idea with this thread! We raise Ancona ducks, Indian Runner ducks and Silkie ducks. This year a family of bobcats tore into the silkie duck pen and took all 3 of our drakes and 3 hens leaving us with no drakes so we won't have silkies available this year, however we are getting ducklings from Holderread to replace our lost silkies so either the Fall or next year on them.

Hello everyone.

Just a funny story. I have one drake and seven ladies. Most of them are various breeds. The drake ( a WH) was trying to have some fun with the WH female when all of a sudden he shoots out of the pool with my little fawn & white runner rushing after him very intent on his backside. The drake was booking like his life depended on it. I then saw that his little dingus was still hanging out. I am pretty sure the little runner thought it was a nice tasty worm and was determined on nabbing it and he was trying to save his dingus from being removed. I suggested he get back in the water or stick it back in. He'd did lose his dingus that time but he'd be careful and not have it hanging out when that little runner is in the vicinity!

Back
Top Bottom