The Duck Thread

HAPPY NEW YEARS DUCK LOVERS.. OUR FLOCK SAYS HELLO..

Well I just had a close call about half an hour ago with the neighbor's dogs. I was letting the ducks forage in the yard outside their pen while I cleaned the coop and tended to the chicks, and my dog was milling about the yard as he always does when I am out in the pen. I heard shouting and saw that the neighbors black Shepherd mix was running in the field between our houses, and the neighbor was shouting at her to come back. What I didn't notice was that ANOTHER dog that I didn't know they even had had already reached the edge of the yard and was only about fifteen feet from my ducks. My dog shot out of nowhere and rushed at the other dog, a white husky dog. The strange dog immediately turned tail and ran home, and my dog stopped at the edge of our yard as he is trained to do. It all happened in seconds before I could even think to react. All I had time to do was yell my dogs name, and of course he came back to me. I am very thankful my dog is more vigilant and observant than I am.

And here is the hero himself, Chevy. I love my dog!

Last edited:
Okay, good thing my Mom works for a Vet Clinic.....So I could probably take him over there so they can try to drain it.
Would it be best if I kept him inside?

If you can take him to the clinic, that would be great! Vet advice would be best...and yes, I would go ahead and keep him inside for now... you want to monitor that close anyways in case he has issues breathing past the swelling, it getting worse, etc... might want to keep his buddy with him too, just so neither stresses out being alone...

ETA: they will probably have better antibiotics for him too... :)

Last edited:
Merlin is home! The surgery went well, and the vet only did the right cheek. The left cheek is pretty much normal now. The vet told us to keep using the Baytril for 9 days. They did also show us how to give the Baytril oraly.
@RavynFallen @casportpony
Here is a picture.

Last edited:
Just got my 10 ducklings from Metzer Farms!!

Had 5 Sexed as females:
1x Cayuga (Female)
1x Mallard (Female)
1x Pekin (Female)
1x Welsh Harlequin (Female)
1x Buff Orp. (female)

And 5 Unsexed ducklings and they marked on the paper which breeds they are!!! 3 Welsh Harlequin and 2 Pekins!!

I have Runners and Muscovy and Buffs the Runners and Buffs were hatched together and so they are a bonded group I just think from observation and since your other 2 are already a flock having 2 Runners or even another breed would be best for a lone Runner. I'd vote for another Runner they are small and don't take up much room either.

okay got a quick duck question, now that my ducks are starting to lay, do i feed them oyster shells like chickens or is just a layer ration good enough for them?
I keep oyster shell out for all my layers just in case someone may need more. It's an inexpensive Insurance policy. [so to speak]

Back
Top Bottom