The Duck Thread

Another pic of Fuzzy & turkey! After an outdoor adventure with them yesterday, it appears that turkey wants to take their relationship to another level. My guess that it's a tom may as well be confirmed!

Soooo cute.

they are ONLY going to get bigger. My touch screen thinks I mean 9 something when I type "o" something.

My IPad does that crap too, and because my Rottwiler stepped on it jumping on the couch it has a cracked screen, which don't help.

I know the ducklings will get bigger, I just hope they don't get as huge as the Pekin ducks. My little girl Ebony got a permanent limp from the Pekin drake, I don't want the Cayuga drake to hurt her. The Pekin drake raped Ebony, which tore her hip muscles. I re-homed the drake and 1 female crested duck to my brother-in-law, to save his life. That drake, Howard, now protects the ducks and geese from some psychotic chickens, but he needs more female ducks so he stops chasing the young female geese. Anyway, will a young drake that's being raised with adult females be as with rape as Howard was? Howard was found dropped off at a pond and rescued, so we don't know what kind of environment he came from.

My IPad does that crap too, and because my Rottwiler stepped on it jumping on the couch it has a cracked screen, which don't help.

I know the ducklings will get bigger, I just hope they don't get as huge as the Pekin ducks. My little girl Ebony got a permanent limp from the Pekin drake, I don't want the Cayuga drake to hurt her. The Pekin drake raped Ebony, which tore her hip muscles. I re-homed the drake and 1 female crested duck to my brother-in-law, to save his life. That drake, Howard, now protects the ducks and geese from some psychotic chickens, but he needs more female ducks so he stops chasing the young female geese. Anyway, will a young drake that's being raised with adult females be as with rape as Howard was? Howard was found dropped off at a pond and rescued, so we don't know what kind of environment he came from.
You can't judge all drakes by Howard, yes the are rough when mating just natural in the duck world, but from all I've read on here Pekins are the worst as far as rough and hormonal, so most likely you Cayuga drake will not be as bad as him, plus he has plenty of girls so hopefully that will help too.

You can't judge all drakes by Howard, yes the are rough when mating just natural in the duck world, but from all I've read on here Pekins are the worst as far as rough and hormonal, so most likely you Cayuga drake will not be as bad as him, plus he has plenty of girls so hopefully that will help too. 

I know they aren't all the same, different personalities and breed characteristics. But rape is apparently normal in the duck world, all breeds both wild and domestic practice it. My concern is that tiny Ebony will get injured again, right now the Cayugas think of Ebony as mom, but once the drake matures he will attempt to mate with her. I don't want her or any of my girls to get injured. Howard had 4 ladies and still did what he did to Ebony, so I don't think it had anything to do with how many ladies he had. At my sister's, Howard is chasing the female geese trying to mate them now as well, so I think he was just over sexed and aggressive to begin with (my brother in law wanted Howard to keep his super aggressive chickens in line. The chickens even attacked the nany goat. Well, now Howard is the king of the pen and bullies the chickens and geese. He leaves the sheep and goats alone at least) I hope that by raising the ducklings in a stable environment with older ducks might lead to a calmer drake. I doubt it will work out that way, but I can hope, right?

I know they aren't all the same, different personalities and breed characteristics. But rape is apparently normal in the duck world, all breeds both wild and domestic practice it. My concern is that tiny Ebony will get injured again, right now the Cayugas think of Ebony as mom, but once the drake matures he will attempt to mate with her. I don't want her or any of my girls to get injured. Howard had 4 ladies and still did what he did to Ebony, so I don't think it had anything to do with how many ladies he had. At my sister's, Howard is chasing the female geese trying to mate them now as well, so I think he was just over sexed and aggressive to begin with (my brother in law wanted Howard to keep his super aggressive chickens in line. The chickens even attacked the nany goat. Well, now Howard is the king of the pen and bullies the chickens and geese. He leaves the sheep and goats alone at least) I hope that by raising the ducklings in a stable environment with older ducks might lead to a calmer drake. I doubt it will work out that way, but I can hope, right?
Yep right lol.. I wonder if Ebony being black and Howards other girls being white had something to do with his aggressiveness with her?

Yep right lol.. I wonder if Ebony being black and Howards other girls being white had something to do with his aggressiveness with her? 

It could be. It's as good a theory as any. He didnt seem as aggressive with Daisy who never let him mate her. Maybe it was a size thing, Daisy is the largest of the females and Ebony the smallest.

Last edited:
Would providing them water to mate I. Help with the weight of the drake?

I guess that depends on the drake. I had 3 kiddie pools set up for the ducks and geese, I have 4 now. But Howard caught Ebony on land and forced her down and climbed on while she was frantically trying to get away. I heard her calling and came around to see her little legs pumping, while Howard kept grabbing her head and neck while climbing on. I got there just as he managed to get on her back, chased that drake off, and checked Ebony. He was just about to be butchered when my sister and brother in law showed up and saved his life.

I guess that depends on the drake. I had 3 kiddie pools set up for the ducks and geese, I have 4 now. But Howard caught Ebony on land and forced her down and climbed on while she was frantically trying to get away. I heard her calling and came around to see her little legs pumping, while Howard kept grabbing her head and neck while climbing on. I got there just as he managed to get on her back, chased that drake off, and checked Ebony. He was just about to be butchered when my sister and brother in law showed up and saved his life.
I thought they gave him back to you because he was still being a...well...you know.

I wish you could share your story with another member on the boards who refuses to protect her mallard hens from her gang raping drakes. They only need to catch one ONE time and it would likely inflict mortal wounds. If you don't mind, I'm going to look for the thread and post it here for anyone else who may be able to help.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/...ey-are-injuring-my-females-help#post_13668294

Back
Top Bottom