The Duck Thread

I thought they gave him back to you because he was still being a...well...you know.

I wish you could share your story with another member on the boards who refuses to protect her mallard hens from her gang raping drakes. They only need to catch one ONE time and it would likely inflict mortal wounds. If you don't mind, I'm going to look for the thread and post it here for anyone else who may be able to help.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/...ey-are-injuring-my-females-help#post_13668294

No, my sister still has Howard. He is being both a blessing and a pain over there. He does keep the mean hen and rooster in check, but he is also attempting to catch and breed my sister's pair of 19 week old female Chinese geese. If I still had that drake he would have been dinner long ago, I will not tolerate a drake, gander, or rooster abusing the ladies. Luckily, my rooster is a punk to me, but protective of his ladies, and my young gander doesn't dare threaten me (I kinda pinned and sat on him the one and only time he looked at me sideways) and is also protective of his ladies. My Cayuga drake is the question, at 5 weeks old it is way too early to tell if he is going to be a gentleman or dinner.

Why on earth would anyone allow a bunch of drakes to gang rape the hens? Not only can the hens be killed, but egg production goes way down and ducklings can be killed as well! Anyway you look at it an abusive drake is bad.

So I have no idea what this is. I'm new to ducks and I've asked around but no one knows what's wrong the place I dot them from said to much protein?

I hope my experience puts you at ease some. I had a Cayuga drake. I never saw him breed anything, but the goose who would run in front of him and lay down. My duck eggs were fertile so he was doing his job. My goose went broody. I gave her duck and turkey eggs. He got so protective of her I rehomed him to someone who had been wanting him for a while. He was always a gentlemen to his girls, but chased everything else. Including a 45lb tom turkey. I wouldn't worry until he gets older. Then see how he treats them. I now have two drakes and 3 ducks. The Drake's follow the ducks around. Still haven't seen them getting busy. I plan on keeping at least 1 duck of the goose raised 1/2 Cayuga.

Oh and I have a creek with 3 large swimming areas do that might be why I haven't seen them mating, but neither harasses the girls.

Last edited:
So I have no idea what this is. I'm new to ducks and I've asked around but no one knows what's wrong the place I dot them from said to much protein?

What have they been fed? It looks more like a B vitamin deficiency to me.
If that's the case - and in any case if it were me I would try this - I would add 150 mg plain niacin per gallon of drinking water for six weeks, and give them as much time as possible swimming either in a kiddie pool or tub (no soap). It may be something called perosis.

We're you able to read the thread? Because the female mallards can fly away.
I figured Ebony being a mallard may convince them that they are not okay.
and that was just one drake with Ebony. Imagine if there were 4 or 5 of them to corral and trap.

I read the thread, not sure that I can convince her to separate the drakes. Ebony can only get 2 feet off the ground and goes maybe 4-5 feet across before she lands. I don't know is she is unable to fly or u willing to get too far from her sister ducks. I will mention Ebony's injury on that thread, see if that convinces the lady to separate the mallards from the drakes.

I read the thread, not sure that I can convince her to separate the drakes. Ebony can only get 2 feet off the ground and goes maybe 4-5 feet across before she lands. I don't know is she is unable to fly or u willing to get too far from her sister ducks. I will mention Ebony's injury on that thread, see if that convinces the lady to separate the mallards from the drakes.
thanks star :thumbsup

Last edited:
I hope my experience puts you at ease some. I had a Cayuga drake. I never saw him breed anything, but the goose who would run in front of him and lay down. My duck eggs were fertile so he was doing his job. My goose went broody. I gave her duck and turkey eggs. He got so protective of her I rehomed him to someone who had been wanting him for a while. He was always a gentlemen to his girls, but chased everything else. Including a 45lb tom turkey. I wouldn't worry until he gets older. Then see how he treats them. I now have two drakes and 3 ducks. The Drake's follow the ducks around. Still haven't seen them getting busy. I plan on keeping at least 1 duck of the goose raised 1/2 Cayuga.

Oh and I have a creek with 3 large swimming areas do that might be why I haven't seen them mating, but neither harasses the girls.

Thanks, let's hope my little drake turns out just as nice to his ladies as yours was. I doubt the drake will harass my geese, not with a gander protecting them.

So I just wanted to share my feat (no local friends understand)....DUCKS ARE OUTSIDE! :) it was painful but I got a place made that is not in my house that I can easily add on to/move when we make the permanent pen.

It still needs some finishing touches but at least the hardest part is over!

Looks nice
smile.png
- since security is a big deal to me, and I am always trying to learn more ways people handle certain aspects (and a friend of mine - well, I am trying to explain the importance of protecting from digging under), do you have fencing under the pen, or a fenced skirt outside it, or what?

Back
Top Bottom