The Duck Thread

I posted this on the nutrition thread 2 weeks ago with no response - anybody here have some recommendations? "[COLOR=333333]Where can I find out what kinds of plants/weeds are OK for ducks? Can I assume if they eat it while foraging on their own that it's OK?[/COLOR]
I have lots of mint, false dandelion, garlic mustard, wild mustard, sorel, german chamomile, plaintan, nettles, wild carrot . . . you name it! I assume anything I can eat should be safe for them like pansies & dandelion greens but I would like a resource to go to."
I have also since realized I eat cruciferous veggies which is not good for ducks so I guess ok for me is not always ok for them. So...anybody?
I can tell you the mint is safe. It's supposed to be an anti parasitic. I feed it to my ducks and chickens all the time

We have a stray Rhode Island Red rooster that has appeared on our property. It's been hanging around for about 3 weeks now up the hill and has finally come down next to our house. We're feeding it. Poor thing seemed pretty starved. We only have ducks. Not sure what to do about this guy. He has a tag on his foot. Will that tell us who he belongs to? The nearest neighbor with chickens is probably about a mile away through the woods. I have no idea how it got here. Tempted to try raisin chickens but not sure if ducks and chickens will get along all that well. As people point out their feeding styles are quite different. Any suggestions appreciated.

We have a stray Rhode Island Red rooster that has appeared on our property. It's been hanging around for about 3 weeks now up the hill and has finally come down next to our house. We're feeding it. Poor thing seemed pretty starved. We only have ducks. Not sure what to do about this guy. He has a tag on his foot. Will that tell us who he belongs to? The nearest neighbor with chickens is probably about a mile away through the woods. I have no idea how it got here. Tempted to try raisin chickens but not sure if ducks and chickens will get along all that well. As people point out their feeding styles are quite different. Any suggestions appreciated.
My chickens and water fowl all eat the same thing, maybe if he doesn't belong to the neighbors you can find a place in your heart for him and maybe a few hens to go with him, you'll love having the eggs.

My chickens and water fowl all eat the same thing, maybe if he doesn't belong to the neighbors you can find a place in your heart for him and maybe a few hens to go with him, you'll love having the eggs.
He is a beauty. We'll attempt to see the tag but so far it's been slow going gaining his trust enough to get near him. I'm going to put out our small chicken coop (the ducks have used for winter) and see if he goes in it tonight. Maybe it will be familiar looking to him and he'll want to seek it's shelter. We've had some nasty thunder storms here. I also can't imagine how he survived the hike through the woods with the coyotes.

He is a beauty.  We'll attempt to see the tag but so far it's been slow going gaining his trust enough to get near him.  I'm going to put out our small chicken coop (the ducks have used for winter) and see if he goes in it tonight.  Maybe it will be familiar looking to him and he'll want to seek it's shelter.  We've had some nasty thunder storms here.  I also can't imagine how he survived the hike through the woods with the coyotes.
there's a story about this in storey's guide to chickens. They tried and tried, then one day after it had been storming and cold and windy for a time, she said "tuck, tuck, tuck" like a chicken calling others for a treat. He stretched his neck and came running. It's a very funny story the way she tells it lol.
It ended in her husband asking "what did you say to him?"

Chicken.
Language.

there's a story about this in storey's guide to chickens. They tried and tried, then one day after it had been storming and cold and windy for a time, she said "tuck, tuck, tuck" like a chicken calling others for a treat. He stretched his neck and came running. It's a very funny story the way she tells it lol.
It ended in her husband asking "what did you say to him?"

Chicken.
Language.

Well I've been going puck, puck, puck.. a lot and he listens but stays his distance. He was originally hanging out under a bird feeder at our cousins home. They are only weekenders so are not really there a lot and didn't really want him. We tried to coax him down hill with food but it didn't work. What finally appears to have worked was the flute music from my sister-in-law who is visiting right now!

Back
Top Bottom