The Duck Thread

Depends on whether you want her to raise them or you want to raise them...
But if you have an incubator you could incubate some and let her brood some... and then sneak your incubator hatchlings under her one night when they're still only a day or so old and she will raise all of them... In theory any way...

I took a few pics of my quackers today since it was a wonderful 72 degrees out. They are now 7 weeks old and pretty much fully feathered now. They still let me mess with them as long as I have treats and come over when I call. They do have a little chatty talk that never stops but I think it's cute.

I took a few pics of my quackers today since it was a wonderful 72 degrees out. They are now 7 weeks old and pretty much fully feathered now. They still let me mess with them as long as I have treats and come over when I call. They do have a little chatty talk that never stops but I think it's cute.

Isn't amazing how fast they grow up. They are beautiful. Your Runners have nice body stance too. We had high 40's and it was heavenly ever one got pool water. one more day and back to winter.

Who keeps their ducks with chickens? Any problems with chickens drowning?

I raised my goslings, ducklings,and chicks together. My geese get along great with the chickens, I often catch them grazing/hunting for bugs side by side. I have had 0 chickens drowned, but my geese have attacked the neighbors game chickens when they get into my yard. I have swimming pools in the yard, but not in the coops. During most of the year the geese are in their coop and the ducks and chickens in another (my geese bully the ducks), when we get our rare freezing nights they all bunk together in the chicken coop. Hope that helps!

Last edited:
If I recall correctly, it depends on how you set things up.  I think I have seen a couple of posts about chickens drowning, but ducklings and ducks can drown, also, if they cannot get out of a swimming container.

Great advice
I have had a chicken fall in the duck pool but it was able to get out because of the rock step. Also it's not deep enough for a chicken to be fully submerged if it falls in. Minor panic inside the run cause the pullet to jump square in the pool, it's not anything that's regularly occurring here.

Last edited:
Isn't amazing how fast they grow up. They are beautiful. Your Runners have nice body stance too. We had high 40's and it was heavenly ever one got pool water. one more day and back to winter.

Thank you. It's amazing weather but by Wed it's suppose to get cold and rainy. Boo! My fawn and white runner is so tiny compared to my blue. My fawn also stands more upright than the blue one too so I was wondering how they looked as far as a sample of the breed.

Back
Top Bottom