The Duck Thread

I've been slacking
couple runners from my ehal

Day old pictures from two weeks ago =)

And 4/6 of the ducklings hatched yesterday and the day before =)

So lucky you get to have your own hatchlings. Due to an accident earlier this year, before I knew about BYC and was still "green" he ended up losing are male and female Rowans. we would have had our own babies by now.

not too bad though, we now have 8 wonderful ducklings we got from TSC and various feed stores. I can't wait for them to get fully feathered and I can tell who is what.

So lucky you get to have your own hatchlings. Due to an accident earlier this year, before I knew about BYC and was still "green" he ended up losing are male and female Rowans. we would have had our own babies by now.

not too bad though, we now have 8 wonderful ducklings we got from TSC and various feed stores. I can't wait for them to get fully feathered and I can tell who is what.

That's sad =( but you do have some lovely youngsters, maybe they'll start laying in the fall =) I could send you some eggs to hatch if your interested =)

Oh no I have a duckling with a twisted foot, it's two weeks old and it wasn't twisted last week what could be going on here? It's still in the brooder.
Maybe it caught its foot in something , and twisted it , I'm not an expert , hopefully someone can tell you how to fix it
sad.png

Things like this make me nervous about my own ducklings...but I'm still excited as they are coming in just two days.

Last edited:
Oh no I have a duckling with a twisted foot, it's two weeks old and it wasn't twisted last week what could be going on here? It's still in the brooder.
Go here learn how to make a shoe very important you get the foot in proper alignment so it doesn't stay twisted. be sure to wrap tight but not enough to cut off circulation. Hopefully after a few days it will have straightened out. are you feeding Brewers yeast with their food? https://sites.google.com/a/poultrypedia.com/poultrypedia/

Quick question, I know people keep ducks and chickens together no problem. My question is, Can I keep a single chicken with my domestic runner ducks? or will the chicken get lonely since it will be the only one?

Quick question, I know people keep ducks and chickens together no problem. My question is, Can I keep a single chicken with my domestic runner ducks? or will the chicken get lonely since it will be the only one?
Chicken will be lonely with out another of it's kind, and if you have drakes the hen if female will be in danger of the drake wanting to mate with her. Not good.

I am new to this so take it with a grain of salt,

From what I have seen with ours from brooder out to the coop, the chickens thought the duck was the momma and followed her around, lost one chick that tried to play duck in the middle of the night though. They will be fine until chicken instincts kick then they both seem to live together but stick with their own kind so once they do that might be lonely as they are all flock birds. So in my opinion get at least 2

Last edited:
Chicken will be lonely with out another of it's kind, and if you have drakes the hen if female will be in danger of the drake wanting to mate with her. Not good.
good point there I only had one duck at the time, have not dealt with a drake.

this is ducky and bandit

Back
Top Bottom