The Duck Thread

I let the bigger littles out to play with a babysitter today who likes me just fine till I try to take away anything that peeps.

As soon as I set them.down he started his clucking and showing them where the food was, then he went and picked up the clump of grass I gave them and dropped it in the middle of them lol so adorable listening to him with "his" babies clucking away like a proud papa lol

Last edited:
Chrysolin, that's cute. So cute that he will babysit for you :)

DH's little granddaughter was over last night with her daddy and wanted to pet the ducks. DH let her hold Freddy, my Pekin. He is the sweetest of the bunch and it makes me happy that we can share our flock with little hands. I never wanted a Pekin that much, but Freddy has grown on me. I'm so glad we finally have ducks
2764.png

I let the bigger littles out to play with a babysitter today who likes me just fine till I try to take away anything that peeps.

As soon as I set them.down he started his clucking and showing them where the food was, then he went and picked up the clump of grass I gave them and dropped it in the middle of them lol so adorable listening to him with "his" babies clucking away like a proud papa lol
Oh, that is the cutest thing. He is a very smart bird. Got to love him for that.

It's raining here too. We got a break for a day and a half, but I've been doing things like, ohhhhh, field trips to the zoo! The DH is out of town, so I got about 2/3 of the lawn mowed before it started to do more than sprinkle on me.
1f615.png
didn't matter anyway, by then it was time to pick up more kids. Needless to say, the duckies didn't get their normal barrage of green treats from me. (No Cheerios miss Lydia, I promise
1f62c.png
) I did briefly say Hi and made sure water, food & pond were acceptable. Went out in the rain at 8:30 to say goodnight and close the door since they usually go to bed themselves. BOY, did I get TOLD OFF! My daughter had put their stuffed animal back in their coop and closed the door. She forgot to open it back up and THEY WERE TIRED! What is the meaning of this?! I knew something was up when they both started talking to me quite loudly and pretty much rushed me when I opened the run door. It was dark so I didn't see the coop door was closed. Not knowing why they weren't already in bed, I did the usual, "night guys. Time to go to bed..." If looks could kill. Having figured out the situation, I quickly apologized and opened their bedroom door. They paraded past me with the teenager "we will make you pay for this when you're not looking..." stare. Sheesh! They are so dang funny!!! You can almost hear what they're saying. Good bad and indifferent!

Talking about all the different breeds... I love the look of the blue Swedish, Anconas, buffs, magpies & welsh harlequins. I love the personalities I hear about from the muscovies, Pekins and mallards. It's funny, the ducks I didn't necessarily care for in the looks department are now the ducks I can't wait to add to the back yard! Lol. Except runners. I know runner people love their funny goofy ducks, and I'm not hating on them. They will probably be our empty nest entertainment one day. But right now, between me and my 2 girls, there's enough frantic energy around this place already! And neither girl has hit the really BAD teen years yet. I couldn't handle anymore drama and dashing around. The DH would be trying to sprinkle my adderal on their food! But then, I wouldn't have any to take. Nobody needs to see that!
1f602.png

Our duckies

Their blue speculums are starting to show (these are older pics) They're such a pretty color of blue! But let's be honest... Have we ever seen a duck that we thought was ugly? And if we did, didn't it just make you want it more. Bless it's heart?
1f607.png
Such a sweet story and post here suzy4027. Your ducks are absolutely adorable. And I have to agree with you, no such thing as an ugly duck. They are all precious.

I went out this morning to let the ducks out and something had dug under their house and out the other side! It also went through their nest (if one of my ducks lays a late egg during the day she had a little nest she sits on with a rock she put in it that's kind off egg shaped, sometimes she likes to just sit on the rock
1f612.png
) and distroyed that and the rock she sat on is way far from the nest! We live in town. My guess is a raccoon and it was trying to get the eggs. My husband built a sturdy house, so the ducks are fine, but this is a perfect example of why all ducks need to be secure at night! I need to get some big rocks and line the outside of their house or something.

Back
Top Bottom