The Duck Thread

my little flock. Almost all grown
Thank you. I think they are amazing and beautiful. They bring me such joy! They are 1 Pekin 4 Jumbo Pekin, 4 Rouen, and 4 Golden 300 from Metzers.

I cant believe how duck-centric my life has become. My gardening choices, grocery shopping, budget choices---All seem to revolve around the comfort of those 13 babies. I am reviving the old pond area. Dug it out to expand it. Now our little backyard pond is 14x18x3 feet. Also building them a new home right next to it where some precious garden flowers once grew. Have plans to enclose the whole area into a kind of aviary for them. I have been acquiring the necessary elements for a several stage Bio-filter system

Something is seriously wrong with a person who would rather spend $500. on a new pond liner and building supplies for the pen than replace the broken glass top stove and 25 year old dryer. LOL We may be wet & starving but the ducks will have their palace. Oh my.

Thank you. I think they are amazing and beautiful. They bring me such joy! They are 1 Pekin 4 Jumbo Pekin, 4 Rouen, and 4 Golden 300 from Metzers.

I cant believe how duck-centric my life has become. My gardening choices, grocery shopping, budget choices---All seem to revolve around the comfort of those 13 babies. I am reviving the old pond area. Dug it out to expand it. Now our little backyard pond is 14x18x3 feet. Also building them a new home right next to it where some precious garden flowers once grew. Have plans to enclose the whole area into a kind of aviary for them. I have been acquiring the necessary elements for a several stage Bio-filter system

Something is seriously wrong with a person who would rather spend $500. on a new pond liner and building supplies for the pen than replace the broken glass top stove and 25 year old dryer. LOL We may be wet & starving but the ducks will have their palace. Oh my.
Better that we be wet and starving than them.

I don't know if I would go that far, but I appreciate the sentiment.
So long as we are fed enough and warm enough that is enough....no need to go overboard with NEW stuff.

I am so happy when I am around them.

Alice28, glad your ducks are okay. Could it have been a skunk? I have heard they will dig and like to go for eggs.

Yes, it definitely could have been a skunk. We're is town, but there's plenty of places for wild animals to eat and hide in town and I live in a small town. I need to figure out how to keep whatever it was out from under their house. There is a spot in the fence that looks like something might be squeezing under, so I have to deal with that too.

I went out this morning to let the ducks out and something had dug under their house and out the other side! It also went through their nest (if one of my ducks lays a late egg during the day she had a little nest she sits on with a rock she put in it that's kind off egg shaped, sometimes she likes to just sit on the rock
1f612.png
) and distroyed that and the rock she sat on is way far from the nest! We live in town. My guess is a raccoon and it was trying to get the eggs. My husband built a sturdy house, so the ducks are fine, but this is a perfect example of why all ducks need to be secure at night! I need to get some big rocks and line the outside of their house or something.
I had to get a live trap and trap ferel cats that were killing my ducklings last summer, then I lined the areas that it had gotten in with chicken wire.

I also thought my killer might have been a raccoon, but since removing the cat I haven't had problems. I have a colony of coons across the street from me in an abandoned house. I have to shoot them walking across my yard on occasion.

Oh, that is the cutest thing.  He is a very smart bird.  Got to love him for that.  

Have to thank cacklejoy for breeding and raising such an amazing roo ;) I just get to reap the benefits =) she also told me he has blue egg genes =) so far I'm in love with him and he's in love with my green ee hen and anything that remotely sounds like a baby bird =D

Look what I found today! I went with on a class field trip to our local, small, free zoo. Just animals native to Kansas, nothing too fancy. I've been to the park where the ducks and geese hang out hoping I don't find any Easter ducks that have been dumped. I've never seen these drakes hanging around. Guess they have figured out where the best buffet in town is! Right under the .25 fish food machine! What color is the lightest drake?

[/IMG]
Went around the rest of the zoo and when we got back to the pond, another Drake had shown up! It's a cloudy day and the pics were from a long enough distance that even zoomed in tight, I had to edit them. Sorry they're grainy. It certainly doesn't do them justice! Pretty boys.
1f603.png

They certainly are beautiful!I'm not sure what color that one drake is though , colors aren't one of my strong suits ;)

Why does Florida have to be so dang hot?!?My poor babies are out on our enclosed back porch and even though they are only 3 days old I have to turn off the heat lamp during the day!Their water was actually hot , so I had to put ice cubes in it...I feel so bad but they can't swim all day , even in this weather.(It's about 90 outside , 95+ on the back porch , when the heat lamp was on it was 105 when they were drying from their swim)

Back
Top Bottom