The Duck Thread

Good morning everyone! So I'm trying to prevent a problem before it happens.... And I did post in incubating and hatching. So if anyone has a second to go look, I'd appreciate it. (Before I have to beg for help in 28 days!!!!) long story short, duck laid 11 eggs over 11-12 day time period. My issue, instead of getting off the nest, she has stayed in it from start to finish.... If I think on this, am I looking at a 10 day hatch........ Is this possible??? What do I do???? So, any advice would be greatly appreciated! Thanks

Okay for those of you who have or have had Cayugas, how much quieter are they than other breeds of duck you've kept? Are the females still loud when they quack, just like a mallard?

I only have 1 cayuga duck and she does seem quieter than my other ducks but she is also shy and a little skittish compared to my blues and buffs.

Good morning everyone! So I'm trying to prevent a problem before it happens.... And I did post in incubating and hatching. So if anyone has a second to go look, I'd appreciate it. (Before I have to beg for help in 28 days!!!!) long story short, duck laid 11 eggs over 11-12 day time period. My issue, instead of getting off the nest, she has stayed in it from start to finish.... If I think on this, am I looking at a 10 day hatch........ Is this possible??? What do I do???? So, any advice would be greatly appreciated! Thanks
What you need to do is candle , that way all eggs not viable can be tossed because if she has been laying and incubating at the same time unless you have a bator ready your going to lose the last eggs anyway. she will not stay on the nest after usually 3 days from first duckling hatching. I don't think I have ever heard of this.

What you need to do is candle , that way all eggs not viable can be tossed because if she has been laying and incubating at the same time unless you have a bator ready your going to lose the last eggs anyway. she will not stay on the nest after usually 3 days from first duckling hatching. I don't think I have ever heard of this.
Well if little miss snotty pants even let's me near them... I do have an incubator, with 6 eggs on day 3! So now, when to candle... I'd ask what day, but as a general time frame...? She's now 3 days past the last egg laid... Grrrrr

Well if little miss snotty pants even let's me near them... I do have an incubator, with 6 eggs on day 3! So now, when to candle... I'd ask what day, but as a general time frame...? She's now 3 days past the last egg laid... Grrrrr

I hope she will let you candle them! Asap! I would pull the least looking developing ones and put them in the incubator with yours. Mark them, because it will probably cause you a bit of a staggered hatch, but I'd say its worth a shot. If you could get the final few that she laid, then she might be ok with the first several on her own, and the latter ones would more closely match up with the ones already in your bator.

I hope she will let you candle them!  Asap!  I would pull the least looking developing ones and put them in the incubator with yours.  Mark them, because it will probably cause you a bit of a staggered hatch, but I'd say its worth a shot.  If you could get the final few that she laid, then she might be ok with the first several on her own, and the latter ones would more closely match up with the ones already in your bator.
Ok. I work the overnight tonight, so tomorrow I'll wait till she heads to the pond for her evening dip. It's been down pouring here so she hasn't budged an inch. She was my drakes favorite, so I'm guessing on high fertility rate. Any guesses on incubation days... Her mother, I'm starting to believe is white mallard(not call as I previously thought) and father was jumbo pekin and her current mate is regular pekin....

Okay for those of you who have or have had Cayugas, how much quieter are they than other breeds of duck you've kept? Are the females still loud when they quack, just like a mallard?

Yes. My Cayuga is the loudest of all of my ducks. She's as loud as or louder than my mallards. My Swedish is the most talkative, but she's just a chatterbox, not a yeller like my Cayuga.

Ok. I work the overnight tonight, so tomorrow I'll wait till she heads to the pond for her evening dip. It's been down pouring here so she hasn't budged an inch. She was my drakes favorite, so I'm guessing on high fertility rate. Any guesses on incubation days... Her mother, I'm starting to believe is white mallard(not call as I previously thought) and father was jumbo pekin and her current mate is regular pekin....
Candling can be tricky but I just go in and put my hand under pull out an egg and go into the feed room and candle mark starting with #1 then go put it back and pull out another. wearing long sleeves and gloves helps if you have an aggressive duck. most of mine are pretty good about it but I have a couple who will pinch the day lights out of me. Don't understand why anyone would dump a white Mallard or any animal so happy for them all they found a great home.

I'm hoping for 42 years someday... Life is so unpredictable that I'm always grateful for today. Sometimes I think Todd wished Peep hadn't been left here, but he's the first one to count ducks every morning on the weekends! If he takes a duck on the road, I'm posting pictures EVERYWHERE! He's already talking diapers and small portable pools....
If he's talking diapers and portable pools, he's getting serious. I imagine he'll also be taking a crate. I can just see the other truckers remarks about his cab mate!!
lau.gif
I think you will get to year 42. It just takes some work and tolerance. I do find the tolerance difficult at times but after gritting my teeth, I manage. Looking forward to those photos of Todd. Yeah, I think Dave wished my neighbor had never introduced me to ducks! Once I duck-sat her ducks, I got hooked.

Back
Top Bottom