The Duck Thread

i had three ducklings who could empty a black rubber tub that held 6 or 7 gallons of water in a few hours just from playing in it....if yours are outside and its hot out then that'll make the go through water even more but ducks will go through endless amounts of water not only to wash their bills and drink but just plain playing in it

My ducks are inside the house right now in a brooder box that I plan in making bigger, for now we have just put in a mesh bottom and a metal box under that with a hole in it that is draining into a 5 gallon bucket. I can take pictures later if anyone would want them. So far it's working but my goodness I had no idea they would go through so much water in a day! It seems like everytime I step into the room they are quacking at me for more water lol

My ducks are inside the house right now in a brooder box that I plan in making bigger, for now we have just put in a mesh bottom and a metal box under that with a hole in it that is draining into a 5 gallon bucket. I can take pictures later if anyone would want them. So far it's working but my goodness I had no idea they would go through so much water in a day! It seems like everytime I step into the room they are quacking at me for more water lol
i know the whole quacking for water thing...i was raising 5 black east india ducklings for a friend and the were always out of water it seemed cause they played in it so much. i have 4 3 day old runners and they've already figured out how to play in the water. it just comes with owning ducks they play relentlessly in water and just have to love them for it even if it annoys you a bit.

have any pics to share of you welshs?

here are my runners the morning they arrived...

This was the day we brought them home

HI BYC!

Just checking to to let you know I really haven't dropped off the map. Well, mostly. I'm a small business owner, and business has been booming, so I haven't had much forum time to stop by and visit. I miss this place!

https://goo.gl/photos/dzqAr42868Vc4GNd8 <--- video of ducks in their new pool

My girls are all grown up now!

We have fixed the pool... there is 3/4 round gravel (smooth round river rock) around it to keep the mud out of the pool and help with drainage. They LOVE their pool.

There is a drain in the bottom that drains down into about a foot (or more) of gravel, it's working well so far. Hard to get the mud out of the bottom, but it's doable.

Glad to see you stop in Kaessa! They are pretty as ever. Abba is still my favorite of course, but they are all just lovely! Looks like the 4 are getting along with the 2 older ones now, so that's wonderful!

Haha, yes, ducks love their water. I just wanted to add that once I got mine outside with more to occupy their time, they didn't go through nearly as much water. They still shake it everywhere, but I use a 5 gallon waterer and it can last 2-3 days. They do their splashing and playing in the pool.

Oh, I forgot, when they were little and inside, I put sterilized rocks (you can use marbles or whatever) into the water trough to make it harder for them to lap it out so much. Just leave enough space between the rocks so they can get a good bill-dip and keep their nostrils clean.

Newest question, lately my ducks have their head turned around buried in their feathers, I've never seen them do this before, wish I had pics still haven't got a new camera. The dh says their sleeping yet their eyes are open. Are they OK?

Newest question, lately my ducks have their head turned around buried in their feathers, I've never seen them do this before, wish I had pics still haven't got a new camera. The dh says their sleeping yet their eyes are open. Are they OK?
Lol! They're fine! It's what ducks do! Mine do it standing on one leg!

Back
Top Bottom