The Duck Thread

We have hawks here in Tennessee that catch wild rabbits and will definitely go after chickens and ducks especially the smaller breeds! One got my miniature wiener dog one year! She survived but it was a difficult recovery for her! She couldn't move for several days...i had to spoon feed her and flip her every few hrs! Shes good as new now tho!
We have red tails large enough here to carry off my mini Dachshunds so I know they could a duck or chicken I am glad to hear your lil weiner survived.

We have red tails large enough here to carry off my mini Dachshunds so I know they could a duck or chicken I am glad to hear your lil weiner survived.
We have large hawks and other raptors. But, my biggest concern, at least where my 11 year old Pom is concerned, at the Owls. When we let the dogs out at night she never goes out alone because of them. I watched one recently come down on a cottontail and sit there pulling it apart right in front of me. Our owls could easily take a 10-15 pound smaller animal.

We have large hawks and other raptors. But, my biggest concern, at least where my 11 year old Pom is concerned, at the Owls. When we let the dogs out at night she never goes out alone because of them. I watched one recently come down on a cottontail and sit there pulling it apart right in front of me. Our owls could easily take a 10-15 pound smaller animal.
We have to be on alert at all times.

I have a 2 pound chihuahua so I feel your pain there. I cannot take my eyes off of her for one second outside. The owls really worry me too. just before dark you can hear them all around. Once in the middle of the night they woke me up, had to be 15 of them in my yard within a few feet of my bedroom window. I love owls but I don't love them so close to my critters.

I noticed earlier Lily's toe, well nail was bleeding. It obviously wasn't bleeding bad or very long. It looks as if she snagged it on something. Should I cut the part off thats partly ripped off. Her feet are horrible such a difference between JoJo the pampered duck to her. I don't think she had a bad life but I'm glad she's with me now. I don't think its bumble foot. But she got hard , dark, almost calloused spots. I'm gonna go see if she's still up and I'll try and get a picture. They have improved some since being with me but not fast enough.

These are not great pics. My camera doesn't take good pics when its background is white or a bright light, and the way I had her angled it was flashing off her white feathers.

And while I'm at it, I noticed two little spots on JoJo's beak that look like bruising. They are real hard to see. He very simply could have bruised his beak...lol

They are down where his hair line meets his beak sorta by his nostrils. The dark marks

Last edited:
I actually lost 5 ducks Wednesday night. I thought it was coyotes, thats usually what it is until we saw a fisher last night about a mile from our place. Now I am a little worried, fishers are fairly big and not necessarily nocturnal. I have not lost another bird since but now I have noticed a couple of rabbits that are not around. I was missing a few cats also. May have to set a big trap up in a tree.

Oh my! I don't know if we have fishers here, but I think we do have marmots and mink. I would freak if I saw one near our yard. I hope the rest of your babies stay safe!

On a different note, my mallard hen is indeed sitting. I found her little nest today but I can't see if she's on chicken eggs or duck eggs. She's under a tractor trailer that's low to the ground and too big for me to move alone.

Oh wow! We have alot of owls here too & i hadnt even thought about them as being a threat! Im trying to get my chickens and duck used to going in the coop at night...been forcing my big white hen and my duck in but my 2 bantams keep flying up in a tree where i can't get to them! I even tried luring them down with treats tonight and they refuse! I noticed tonight tho that the rooster announces when him and the hen r going to go roost so tomorrow night im going to try to get out there about 30min b4 they roost and lure em in!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom