The Duck Thread

Umm, yeah, sometimes I do when I see an earwig. I never see many anymore. Maybe I scared them all off!
I'm thinking your ducks maybe helping you get rid of them..
smile.png
so they don't have to hear that blood curdling scream anymore

@lynnhill I commend your intentions to keep them. I would hate to see you miss out on what fun crazy characters ducks can be. Most of us find them worth the trouble and mess.

I had a pair very briefly in the 70s. They made such a mess. After that I swore I would never have ducks again.

Well here I am with not 2 but 8 of them. Nothing has changed. I live in the same house. They are in the same yard. What did change is my attitude. They are every bit as cruddy as they always were but I have a brick area I can hose off. The duck water runs into the garden as fertilizer and life is easier.

They will tame down eventually but you should start with a couple ducklings if you want friendly. They will show the wild ones you are safe.

How long have you had them? My first time lasted less than a week.

I have three more ducks again from the neighbors. I don't think they're feeding them well, because they come over here, eat ravenously, hang out until it gets dark, then wander back to wherever they came from. Next time they're here I'm putting them in my run. If I'm the one feeding them and they spend all their time on my property, I might as well keep them overnight too so they don't sleep wherever they're sleeping - probably out in the open and exposed to predators, poor things. Plus I'm worried about what will happen to them in the winter if I don't have them and they're not being fed.

I have three more ducks again from the neighbors. I don't think they're feeding them well, because they come over here, eat ravenously, hang out until it gets dark, then wander back to wherever they came from. Next time they're here I'm putting them in my run. If I'm the one feeding them and they spend all their time on my property, I might as well keep them overnight too so they don't sleep wherever they're sleeping - probably out in the open and exposed to predators, poor things. Plus I'm worried about what will happen to them in the winter if I don't have them and they're not being fed.

I think that sounds like a great idea! It would be interesting to see if the owners even notice! Keep those duckies fed and safe :)

I think that sounds like a great idea!  It would be interesting to see if the owners even notice!  Keep those duckies fed and safe :)

I don't think they'll notice. I have several chickens that have voluntarily joined my flock that I'm sure came from them. They're always rail thin when they show up :( I think the ducks would stay on their own, but Hershey, my drake, chases them off at night before I close everyone in.

Last edited:
I don't think they'll notice. I have several chickens that have voluntarily joined my flock that I'm sure came from them. They're always rail thin when they show up
sad.png
I think the ducks would stay on their own, but Hershey, my drake, chases them off at night before I close everyone in.

Some pet owners make me so mad! And they are pets - there is no excuse for not taking care of any animal - farm animals or otherwise. Do you know these neighbors at all? Have you seen their coops?

I don't think they'll notice. I have several chickens that have voluntarily joined my flock that I'm sure came from them. They're always rail thin when they show up
sad.png
I think the ducks would stay on their own, but Hershey, my drake, chases them off at night before I close everyone in.

Dear, sweet Pyxis. If you can manage it, I hope they can finally have a great home.
hugs.gif

Back
Top Bottom