The Duck Thread

I love how you love them... :)

Speaking of... here's Crash taking a nap with me, and then her after nap duck yoga showing off a webby... :D

That is sooo incredibly cute! I love the yoga pic! :)

The front of our yard is open right now. DH fed everyone that morning, went to the gas station for a moment, came back to find the hen hit in the road. She had just eaten and our yard is deep with the birds at the back, so there was no reason for her to wander. I went out later and looked and found the new tail feathers my turkey had just grown on the ground looking like they'd been crushed. Found a couple of feathers from my mallard, too, only she was hiding under a trailer and wouldn't come out. The other two turkeys were freaked out. We had been letting them all out a lot to range, since they never go very far in our yard. Needless to say we will be installing a new fence as soon as we can get the money set aside.
Sounds like your on the right track. Plastic poultry fencing will keep your birds safe while saving for a good fence. Plastic fence will keep your birds in and some preds out if put up well.

I love how you love them... :)

Speaking of... here's Crash taking a nap with me, and then her after nap duck yoga showing off a webby... :D

Look at her angelic little face. I'd kiss her. I envy you that you experience that. And you know she's throwing that webby out just for me. Little bitty innocent duck.

The lady that helps my in laws says she saw a really long /thick black garden snake. I really thought she was exaggerating but I really don't know

Its very possible ={ I've been battling gopher snakes at my place for as long as I've had bunnies and birds. If it was black it could be a Ca king snake. I've caught and seen up to 5ft snakes in my nest boxes and even 4ft off the ground in secure hutches. Your poor babies ={

Won two pekin ducklings in June, last week I was able to determine that they were both drakes. One was always bigger than the other, and a month ago, we noticed he would walk lower to the ground. Just assumed it was because he was heavier, since he always has been. Seemed to be alert, and eating normally, friendly with my children, so I thought nothing of it. This past week, I noticed he was walking slower and would rest a lot, unlike the smaller one. Yesterday morning he was walking very slowly, and in the evening, he was moving hardly at all. I knew he wouldn't last the night. Found him dead this morning, very upsetting. They just switched to chicken scratch feed this week, the smaller one has been in great health. Also, the weather has drastically changed, from 70s last week, to 50s and low 40s at night. I feel like the combination of the weather and diet change, and possibly a lack of proper nutrients is the cause. I feel horrible, and will be getting pellets and niacin later this afternoon. I am in search of a adolescent or mature companion for the remaining duck, but having trouble in my area, I'm assuming due to the off-season. I am in Jacksonville, NC, and would go as far as, Richlands, beulaville, maysville, and Hubert.

Won two pekin ducklings in June, last week I was able to determine that they were both drakes. One was always bigger than the other, and a month ago, we noticed he would walk lower to the ground. Just assumed it was because he was heavier, since he always has been. Seemed to be alert, and eating normally, friendly with my children, so I thought nothing of it. This past week, I noticed he was walking slower and would rest a lot, unlike the smaller one. Yesterday morning he was walking very slowly, and in the evening, he was moving hardly at all. I knew he wouldn't last the night. Found him dead this morning, very upsetting. They just switched to chicken scratch feed this week, the smaller one has been in great health. Also, the weather has drastically changed, from 70s last week, to 50s and low 40s at night. I feel like the combination of the weather and diet change, and possibly a lack of proper nutrients is the cause. I feel horrible, and will be getting pellets and niacin later this afternoon. I am in search of a adolescent or mature companion for the remaining duck, but having trouble in my area, I'm assuming due to the off-season. I am in Jacksonville, NC, and would go as far as, Richlands, beulaville, maysville, and Hubert.
welcome-byc.gif
So sorry to hear of your loss
hugs.gif
How old was he? Good luck in finding a buddy for your remaining duck.

Back
Top Bottom