The Duck Thread

does consistent line breeding if done correctly as you've instructed ensure the continuation of traits like puffy cheeks and stubby bills in little call ducks?

I LOVE JULIE!!! (But so does everyone.)

It does in the ones that survive it. There really isn't such a thing as good line breeding over many generations. You get less and less vitality in the lines because of the undesirable recessives, and that's the least of what can go wrong.

It's the same thing if you're breeding dogs, cats, whatever. It's the same reason the French royals had so much hemophilia in their males years ago when they weren't allowed to marry outside the royal families. If you match two animals that have an undesirable gene, it's probably not going to come out well for the progeny.

Ok! Sounds good! I don't plan on breeding any of them until spring because i just don't want to have to worry about babies in the winter! I have those 2 that r related! Then i have a baby roo and baby hen that have paired up but they have different parents and 5 sea brights...not sure if any of them r related but one is a feather-footed who I would love to breed; however he is in love with my duck! Then i have another pair of bantams and another bantam rooster...all different parents but could be cousins which is why I asked about cousins...lol! I just went to make sure my feather-footed roo and my big birds went inside and lock up their coop for the night and this is what I found...

My big birds nestled in their bed! Looked all over the roost for my roo...he wasnt there!

Surprise! There he is! Lmao! He's ruined!
Beautiful stuff, and I thought we were talking only about ducks. It doesn't really matter if it's also chickens. Cousins are usually okay, but you really need to get another line mixed in if you're going to breed. Next year in a first generation should be fine.

Later on down the line, you will have issues. How much later is up for grabs. People do line breeding in many animals to bring out the best of the traits, but don't forget it will also be more likely to bring out the worst. If you're going to do line breeding, it's best to do it with grandparent/grandchild instead of parent/child. Also, as Ravyn said, it's not advisable to breed siblings, mostly for the same reason you skip a generation to the grandchildren if you're going to line breed.
This is done in bucking bulls to bring out crazy and rankness.

Ok! Sounds good! I don't plan on breeding any of them until spring because i just don't want to have to worry about babies in the winter! I have those 2 that r related! Then i have a baby roo and baby hen that have paired up but they have different parents and 5 sea brights...not sure if any of them r related but one is a feather-footed who I would love to breed; however he is in love with my duck! Then i have another pair of bantams and another bantam rooster...all different parents but could be cousins which is why I asked about cousins...lol! I just went to make sure my feather-footed roo and my big birds went inside and lock up their coop for the night and this is what I found...

My big birds nestled in their bed! Looked all over the roost for my roo...he wasnt there!

Surprise! There he is! Lmao! He's ruined!
OMG, that's too funny!

It does in the ones that survive it. There really isn't such a thing as good line breeding over many generations. You get less and less vitality in the lines because of the undesirable recessives, and that's the least of what can go wrong.

It's the same thing if you're breeding dogs, cats, whatever. It's the same reason the French royals had so much hemophilia in their males years ago when they weren't allowed to marry outside the royal families. If you match two animals that have an undesirable gene, it's probably not going to come out well for the progeny.
Awe thank you so much Gina.

This breeding thing sounds like roulette. It can be out of control under the surface to the animal's detriment which you clearly pointed out. Like my mom's shih tzu. She is so dang cute but her in breeding to keep her pure has resulted in allergies, a too small mouth for her teeth, many of which were pulled, weepy eyes which need constant cleaning, etc. Then here's a question for you that makes me wonder, and sorry to be talking dogs and not ducks, but why do shih tzus' eyeballs bug out? It is not very attractive but their prolific facial hair makes them appear normal. Then they've got these wonderful long eyelashes. So it's obviously like you have to deal with the ick to go along with the yum. Does this make sense?

Last edited:

Gotta x2 this...

Especially the loving Julie part! :D

Awe thank you so much Gina.

This breeding thing sounds like roulette. It can be out of control under the surface to the animal's detriment which you clearly pointed out. Like my mom's shih tzu. She is so dang cute but her in breeding to keep her pure has resulted in allergies, a too small mouth for her teeth, many of which were pulled, weepy eyes which need constant cleaning, etc. Then here's a question for you that makes me wonder, and sorry to be talking dogs and not ducks, but why do shih tzus' eyeballs bug out? It is not very attractive but their prolific facial hair makes them appear normal. Then they've got these wonderful long eyelashes. So it's obviously like you have to deal with the ick to go along with the yum. Does this make sense?

It makes complete sense. I've had Persian cats most of my adult life. The reason I was off BYC for the first week was that work went crazy, and the reason I was away after that on the very day I intended to come back is that my sweet blue Persian kitty Jade that I'd had for more than 18 years finally gave up.

It's what you do when you're breeding. You breed for type, which in some cases means flat faces, etc. Sometimes the animals don't do well from it, and even if they do, they have the typical things like sinus issues, teary eyes, etc. Sometimes the "desirable" characteristics aren't such a good thing for the animal.

It makes complete sense. I've had Persian cats most of my adult life. The reason I was off BYC for the first week was that work went crazy, and the reason I was away after that on the very day I intended to come back is that my sweet blue Persian kitty Jade that I'd had for more than 18 years finally gave up.

It's what you do when you're breeding. You breed for type, which in some cases means flat faces, etc. Sometimes the animals don't do well from it, and even if they do, they have the typical things like sinus issues, teary eyes, etc. Sometimes the "desirable" characteristics aren't such a good thing for the animal.
I love Persians. Their faces. Kinda like a shih tzu with the wonderful looking short snooter snouts. I am so sorry you lost Jade. Now I see where your name comes from. 18 yrs is a huge part of your life.

So true about the good with the bad for breeding specifics. Now I totally know what you mean exactly, Gina. I've learned on here that we want Calls with stubby bills but sometimes it's those bills that make it too hard for the baby to break out of his shell.

Back
Top Bottom