The Duck Thread

My handsome khaki Campbell drake is having an issue today. I was in the yard this morning and he can't really walk he takes a couple steps and then thuds his chest to the ground. I have looked him all over his legs look great no wounds everything looks great, his legs don't seem broken. His webbing looks great. His chest and underbelly look great as well.
I have him inside in the tub now (as you see in the photo) so I can get a better look at him and maybe rest his leg if that's what he needs. He seems happy and eating and drinking. Any thoughts I am at a loss?

Love his color. He's very easy on the eyes! Sorry he is struggling right now.

Thank you. They'd be going outside as soon as they're too big for the brooder. Maybe I could transition them by keeping them in my shed for a couple of weeks....?

That sounds good... and take them outside during the day for little trips once they're feathered enough... looks like I'll be doing fall brooding too, lol...

I need help. I'm new to having ducks. I have two and I don't even know their breed. But that's not the issue. One of my ducks is displaying possibly neurological issues. Two nights ago I went to check on the flock,as they sleep with the chickens in the coop,and one of them was acting drunk. I mean literally drunk! Couldn't walk or stand without stumbling,and rolling its neck/head around as if he couldn't control it. I was clueless and just prayed! I did a full body check and no wounds. No blood. Nothing to indicate injury. In the morning,he was fine! Like nothing was wrong. Then,last night I go to do a check. He's in the coop,laying completely on his tummy,neck completely stretched out,head down. I picked him up and again checked him all over. I stayed with him for about an hour. Petting him and talking to him. Praying while wondering if I needed to put him down. His breathing was slow,and sounded congested. Mucous drooling from his bill. He couldn't stand or keep his neck/head up. His pupils were dilating like crazy. I put him back with his buddy. Thinking he'd be gone by morning and if not,I'd need to take care of it. As I'm not into any animal suffering. Then,I let them out today and he's fine again!!! Acting completely like himself. What is going on? Obviously I cannot see what's going on inside. It's happened only at night. Could it be seizures? Is he retarded? I'm so lost. How do I help my friend? Any and all suggestions welcome. As well as prayers for Elijah. Moses is his buddy. (I'll try to send pics. I don't even know if they're male). Thank you and God bless.
1f64f.png
1f607.png
Beautiful! They look like Muscovies to me. Perhaps @Miss Lydia can help with girl or boy.

Sounds like toxins or botulism - please look around - see if their food smells moldy at all (how often are they fed? if only in the afternoon, I would suspect the feed). Or, is there icky water they can get into in the evening? Dead plant or animal material will cause botulism. Please look around for anything like that. I know my ducks will play with dead things. shudder. Try to find what he or she is getting into.

Meanwhile, a vitamin B deficiency can cause seizures and other problems. What is their feed? It can be remedied easily by putting brewer's yeast (not baking yeast, no winemaking yeast, it has to be brewer's yeast or nutritional yeast) 1 tablespoon brewer's yeast per cup of food daily for a few months.

I would give food grade activated charcoal (not briquettes, not for cooking, it's a supplement you can get at a GNC or health food store or maybe even at a drugstore) - a teaspoon in a pint of water - in the late afternoon. I would add the brewer's yeast to their food in the morning.

Please send us an update. Botulism can be deadly - so far, he has dodged two bullets.

Anybody have water mess reducing ideas for adult ducks in the coop for winter? Last year I kept the water in the pen which was great, but I just built a new coop and I'm not positive I'll get the run put up in time (it's already snowing).

Anybody have water mess reducing ideas for adult ducks in the coop for winter? Last year I kept the water in the pen which was great, but I just built a new coop and I'm not positive I'll get the run put up in time (it's already snowing).
@Amiga has a watering station set up in her indoor pen maybe she'll share the pic.

I have this idea but hasn't been tested .. yet. I picked up the bottom section of a corner standup shower. We are going to cut a hole in the floor and a pipe going into the ground. Still need to figure out a grate to raise the waterer up a little and any over splash goes down the drain.

Back
Top Bottom