The Duck Thread

I think Metzer has good survival rates depending upon the time of year you order. Many people have had great experiences with the hatchery, and I believe it's definitely among the better hatcheries. But it's getting cold. And it's starting to get into the holiday season, and there is a lot of postal traffic. I tried to send a package last week that took two weeks to deliver rather than the three days I was promised. Delays will be a major issue in shipping chicks at this time of year.

I have ordered from Metzer before. Last February, I received my order of six ducklings and one was dead. I live in Ohio and it was very cold, and too early to order ducklings but I was excited and I wanted them as soon as possible. The people at Metzer are very good about refunding, and they agreed to replace the duckling right away. I ordered two more ducklings to travel with the replacement duckling, so they could keep warm better. This entire shipment, along with hundreds of other shipments of chicks and ducklings, was delayed about a week after being sent due to a bad winter storm. Thousands of birds died in transit from the delay. Metzer, again being very good about refunds, replaced the birds, and I finally received my last three ducklings in late April.

My lesson learned is to never order during cold weather, even if the hatcheries offer to ship chicks in the cold weather months. It's not worth the risk and just better for the birds to wait until warm weather. Also, always always pay a little extra for the Gro-Gel for them, and heating packs if the weather is chilly. This definitely increased their chance of survival. I would see if they will hold your replacement order until next spring, unless it is warm weather where you are now. Metzer does everything they can on their end to ensure the survival of your chicks, but sometimes unforeseen events just happen. It's always a risk. Good luck with your ducklings!

Wow good to know. I purchased the grow gel and heat packs. Plus there were 10 in there. So they should have been fine, except they opted to ship over Veterans Day last week, knowing there would be a delay. I live in South Florida so their shipping route to me is actually still pretty warm until January.

Yes I ordered both. what bothers me most..... Is that I received a call on the 10th saying that because of the holiday they would not be shipping the ducklings till the 13th. But the ship date on the box clearly says they shipped on the 10th. I received them on the 14th. So they were in transit for 4 days! I do not appreciate the dishonesty
1f615.png
Even with grow gel and a heat pack.... 4 days is just way way too much.
Have you contacted Metzers I would and ask why they shipped on the 10th when they told they wouldn't ship until the 13th . It's their fault these duckling were in transit for so long.

Have you contacted Metzers I would and ask why they shipped on the 10th when they told they wouldn't ship until the 13th . It's their fault these duckling were in transit for so long.

They were closed for the weekend. I just wonder how many other orders they filled last week and how many other people received dead babies. So sad! Im going to call today and if they are anything but super helpful and sweet about all of this, I'm going to just ask for a refund. No more ducks need to die.

Yes I ordered both. what bothers me most..... Is that I received a call on the 10th saying that because of the holiday they would not be shipping the ducklings till the 13th. But the ship date on the box clearly says they shipped on the 10th. I received them on the 14th. So they were in transit for 4 days! I do not appreciate the dishonesty
1f615.png
Even with grow gel and a heat pack.... 4 days is just way way too much.

Agreed. Four days is way too long. New hatchlings can survive a day or two with no food, as they are loaded with th nutrition supplies from the yolk, but four days is just too long. I'm surprised even half your ducklings made Ito. And I am disappointed Metzer would ship chicks over the holiday. I would have thought they would not have offered that week as a week to ship. It's difficult and frustrating to learn things the hard way, but it is often the best way to learn. Honestly, I probably wouldn't have thought to check if it was a holiday week or not. Thank you for sharing your experience. It helps us all to learn.

Recieved my long awaited order of 10 ducklings from Metzer Farms yesterday. They were shipped through the holiday and as a result were in transit for 4 days! Needless to say - only 5 survived. 50% survival rate... Not so great. It was pretty devastating. They will replace them for me I'm sure, but I'm so nervous to ship ducklings again! Who else has shipped from Metzer? Is a 50% loss super rare? Has anyone experienced this? Should I trust another shipment? On the bright side... Here are some happy pics of the 5 that made it.

Sorry for your losses... Call and talk to them, I'm sure they'll do the right thing.

-Kathy

I ordered ducklings From Mcmurray that were shipped in September. They were stuck in transit for five days. They were shipped with Heat pack..(They didn't even offer the option not too)
All arrived healthy and happy. And trust me I was nervous. It does them no good to ship dead ducks. I would call them and have them fix the situation.

Last edited:
So to ventilate you need to have air flow that allows moisture to escape from top. Most just cut in small vents and cover with hardware cloth  you can cut in or put in used windows for the sides or cut in your own and add sheets of plywood to cover these in winter I have Old used windows in my houses and I keep the tops open on the south and east at the top about half way just to keep fresh air and moisture going in and out.  Ducks make alot of moisture and if it doesn't have a way to escape can cause mold to build up inside and cause respiratory issues.  So fresh air is a must. Your temps are probably not too much different than ours so leaving windows open at top on south and east side will give them plenty of air. Vents cut in a top will give moisture a way to escape.  Go to search and look up ventilation you'll get some ideas on there.  Did your 2 ducks produce these 12 ducklings?  Your 2 adults are gorgeous. Cut or put your windows on west and north side up higher than east and south that way you won't have draft blowing across your ducks

from Grit magazine:
Good ventilation also is key in chicken houses, as this helps keep chickens from acquiring respiratory illnesses and aids in keeping humidity levels down in the coop. Birds require fresh air in the coop, without it being too drafty and cold. This is a delicate balance to achieve and may require some trial and error. Being observant is one key to giving all of your barnyard animals a high quality of life. However, realize that even in cold areas such as South Dakota, chickens can thrive in sheltered, non-heated chicken coops with the windows left open all winter.[This is talking about chickens but pertains to all poultry] 

Yes, my male and female mallards produced 12 ducklings! She laid on 22 eggs, but 10 of them were no good! Thanks for the compliment on my pretty ducks and for the info!

Recieved my long awaited order of 10 ducklings from Metzer Farms yesterday. They were shipped through the holiday and as a result were in transit for 4 days! Needless to say - only 5 survived. 50% survival rate... Not so great. It was pretty devastating. They will replace them for me I'm sure, but I'm so nervous to ship ducklings again! Who else has shipped from Metzer? Is a 50% loss super rare? Has anyone experienced this? Should I trust another shipment? On the bright side... Here are some happy pics of the 5 that made it.

They are adorable! I have never ordered ducklings from a hatchery, sadly. Sorry for your losses.
hugs.gif

Back
Top Bottom