The Duck Thread

Hey all! Quick question:

My crested ducklings are now 2 months old. They are feathered except for their wing feathers - they're growing in nicely, but they're not all the way in. Their voices have changed. These babies are also HUGE and fat (and oh so stinky). They have outgrown their brooder. Should they be ready to go outside permanently? The coldest it's been getting at night is 30, with daytime temps between 35 and 65 (it's been a weird winter). They would have a duck house. I'm concerned about getting them outside because, sadly, I have to have a c section in two weeks - my baby is breech.

Hey all! Quick question:

My crested ducklings are now 2 months old. They are feathered except for their wing feathers - they're growing in nicely, but they're not all the way in. Their voices have changed. These babies are also HUGE and fat (and oh so stinky). They have outgrown their brooder. Should they be ready to go outside permanently? The coldest it's been getting at night is 30, with daytime temps between 35 and 65 (it's been a weird winter). They would have a duck house. I'm concerned about getting them outside because, sadly, I have to have a c section in two weeks - my baby is breech.

I put mine out when they were little and just had them in a area that was fully in closed so nothing could get to them (even had a roof) and I had a heat lamp in their house and on at all times so they could warm up if they got cold.

Not the best hatch, but I'm still happy. Only 3 of 7 of mine made it.

OMG they are beautiful! Congratulations! I love the last ones colorful toes
love.gif

I put mine out when they were little and just had them in a area that was fully in closed so nothing could get to them (even had a roof) and I had a heat lamp in their house and on at all times so they could warm up if they got cold.

Unfortunately I don't really have a way to give them a heat lamp.. And I'm afraid of the fire hazard!

Unfortunately I don't really have a way to give them a heat lamp.. And I'm afraid of the fire hazard!

I don't know then, how many do you have? A heat lamp from any feed store that's for ducks and chicks shouldn't be a fire hazard, but if you don't have a way to plug it in, that's a problem. My husbands an electrician, so I just said "put a plug here" when I was ready to put them outside
1f602.png
. They may be fine cuddling for warmth as long as they are in their duck house at night and there's a few of them. If all their feathers are in, they should probably be fine to be out. I would just keep an eye on them and if they seem too cold, bring them in.

Last edited:
Oh my goodness how adorable Congrats on Bug and Boo 2.
Thank you. Little baby ducks are just sooo much more cuter than chickens. I love them all but the duckies are my favorites.

Yeah!!
clap.gif
love.gif
Good luck on the rest!
Thank you.

Is it getting any better? I it takes mine a bit to grow out of the shaft. How long has it been this way? I've seen a few people post about this before but can't remember if there was anything to be done about it.
No changes and they have been this way for awhile. I have seen my chickens go through molt and the new feathers coming out of the shafts but this is like nothing I've ever seen. I will try to get better pictures this weekend. I will keep searching to see if I can find the posts.

I use gamebird flight conditioner to help mine through their molt. Always seems like a ducks molt is harder than a chickens, even tho my chickens can look awful during, it just seems more painful for ducks.

Attimus
Can you get that at TSC? Or where?

I don't know then, how many do you have? A heat lamp from any feed store that's for ducks and chicks shouldn't be a fire hazard, but if you don't have a way to plug it in, that's a problem. My husbands an electrician, so I just said "put a plug here" when I was ready to put them outside
1f602.png
. They may be fine cuddling for warmth as long as they are in their duck house at night and there's a few of them. If all their feathers are in, they should probably be fine to be out. I would just keep an eye on them and if they seem too cold, bring them in.

There's four of them. They'd also be with two adult ducks.

One of my new baby ducks isn't pooping. It's eating and drinking well and running around but no poop. It does the backing up thing and still no poop. It did have a huge goopy poop in it's shell but nothing that I've seen since. The other one is pooping up a storm. It's butt isn't pasty but I did feel something like a hard feather sticking out. Any thoughts or suggestions?

No sooner than I posted the above BOOM... we have a poop
big_smile.png
all is well so far.

Last edited:
There's four of them. They'd also be with two adult ducks.

I think they should be fine, but I would be worried about them with the two older ducks. Have they been around each other? We introduced a new duck, who was an adult, to are ducks. They were all the same age and it didn't go well at first. I felt bad having to put them together at night. They may be fine with a group of younger ones. With mine, I had the new duck separated from the other two for the most part during the day and just had them together for short amounts of time. Are drake was pretty mean with her, but we gave away the drake and then the two ducks were fine. Haha. Maybe have them hang out separated if possible during the day and see how it goes. If they seem fine let them all together and see. Then you can judge if they seem ready to all be together at night.

Back
Top Bottom