The Duck Thread

Unfortunately I don't really have a way to give them a heat lamp.. And I'm afraid of the fire hazard!
You can put a heating pad in with them.

I think they should be fine, but I would be worried about them with the two older ducks. Have they been around each other? We introduced a new duck, who was an adult, to are ducks. They were all the same age and it didn't go well at first. I felt bad having to put them together at night. They may be fine with a group of younger ones. With mine, I had the new duck separated from the other two for the most part during the day and just had them together for short amounts of time. Are drake was pretty mean with her, but we gave away the drake and then the two ducks were fine. Haha. Maybe have them hang out separated if possible during the day and see how it goes. If they seem fine let them all together and see. Then you can judge if they seem ready to all be together at night.
X2 definitely introduce them separated by a fence that they can see through.

Hey all! Quick question:

My crested ducklings are now 2 months old. They are feathered except for their wing feathers - they're growing in nicely, but they're not all the way in. Their voices have changed. These babies are also HUGE and fat (and oh so stinky). They have outgrown their brooder. Should they be ready to go outside permanently? The coldest it's been getting at night is 30, with daytime temps between 35 and 65 (it's been a weird winter). They would have a duck house. I'm concerned about getting them outside because, sadly, I have to have a c section in two weeks - my baby is breech.

I think they will be fine. Their feathers will develop even more quickly outside. Have you had them outside much at all? And do you have any extra heating on them inside right now? I mean, are they just at regular room temp?

I think they should be fine, but I would be worried about them with the two older ducks. Have they been around each other? We introduced a new duck, who was an adult, to are ducks. They were all the same age and it didn't go well at first. I felt bad having to put them together at night. They may be fine with a group of younger ones. With mine, I had the new duck separated from the other two for the most part during the day and just had them together for short amounts of time. Are drake was pretty mean with her, but we gave away the drake and then the two ducks were fine. Haha. Maybe have them hang out separated if possible during the day and see how it goes. If they seem fine let them all together and see. Then you can judge if they seem ready to all be together at night.

good thoughts to consider.

They have been put out lots of times during the day when it isn't super cold. The adult ducks come up and talk to them and watch them. They seem to not mind them.

I think they will be fine.  Their feathers will develop even more quickly outside.  Have you had them outside much at all?  And do you have any extra heating on them inside right now?  I mean,  are they just at regular room temp? 

good thoughts to consider.

They have been put out at temps between 40 and 65 several times. They have been at regular room temp - about 65 at our house - for a couple of weeks. It's just so hard to put them out in the cold and not be super paranoid about them!!

They have been put out at temps between 40 and 65 several times. They have been at regular room temp - about 65 at our house - for a couple of weeks. It's just so hard to put them out in the cold and not be super paranoid about them!!

Yes it is! But do it for yourself and new baby. Good luck with the C-section! (been there, done that! lol)

And the problem with providing additional heat is that there's nowhere to plug it in.

I think it sounds like they should be fine, especially with the adult ducks not seeming to mind them. They will huddle together in the house for warmth if they get cold. I say put them out now, see if they seem to get too cold during the day and if they seem to be fine, keep them out and put them in their house at night with the other ducks.

Thank you! I'm so scared of the surgery. I mean, I can't wait to meet my baby girl, but every single aspect of the surgery scares the crap out of me!

I had an emergency c-section, I won't go into it at all, but having it planned and not when you are in full on labor it should go smoothly. I don't blame you for being scared, but I'm sure it will all be fine. A healthy baby is what's most important. That's what I remind myself
1f609.png
. Congratulations on your baby girl! You will be a lot less stressed with the ducks outside!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom