The Duck Thread

#5 just hatched and we have a problem
@RavynFallen
@WVduckchick
@Lacrystol

I'm using betadine and keep it separate and on clean towels. Anything else I should do? Thank you all... AGAIN:)
Well you need to get that shrinked down and the only way to do so is by lowering your humidity, needs to go down fast to help avoid infection. I don't see much of a cord? he looks very wet so try to dry him up as fast as possible, if he's shaking a lot get a hair dry set it on low and just fluff him up yourself.

Aweee LOOKS GOOD... Good job, I would get rid of the paper towel though, It's slippery and can cause leg issues.

Will do. I was leery of the wire mesh and was waiting for all to hatch to move them to the plastic mesh, lol. I took the paper towel out and put the belly babe on a regular towel.

Will do.  I was leery of the wire mesh and was waiting for all to hatch to move them to the plastic mesh, lol.  I took the paper towel out and put the belly babe on a regular towel.

I didn't worry about that mesh til I had a Call baby stick it's bill in diagonally and turned it til it got stuck... poor baby wore grooves into either side of its bill... now I lay down a square of the shelf gripper liner and that helps keep eggs in place, tilting them into position, no injuries, gives their feet good surface to walk on and makes cleanup much easier... :)

I didn't worry about that mesh til I had a Call baby stick it's bill in diagonally and turned it til it got stuck... poor baby wore grooves into either side of its bill... now I lay down a square of the shelf gripper liner and that helps keep eggs in place, tilting them into position, no injuries, gives their feet good surface to walk on and makes cleanup much easier...
smile.png

o no, poor thing. So call baby bills are THAT small
ep.gif
OMG, I had no idea. I want to get some calls sooo bad. Gotta wait til we can build a separate pen though because of our boy KC. Can calls be in with female ducks?? I need to get some shelf gripper. Plan too before the muscovy eggs arrive. I set these eggs on paper towel rings, elevate at about 20-30 degrees. Four of them were hatched when I got up and the 5th had rolled off of the ring during the night. I'm watching number 6 zip now still in the ring.

I am new to owning ducks and was wondering the best approach to get them to enter their roost at night. They are currently in with my chickens because of the bitterly cold temps (-6) here in Wisconsin. I did build them a separate area under the stoop to the chicken coop (access to the right of the steps) and will transfer thmm overy to the "quack shack" when temps warm. Currently, every evening my 5 y.o. daughter and I have to wrangle the 5 ducks and physically place them in the coop. It's great exercise and a bit fun (more so for my daughter), but I'm sure it will get old quickly. Any advice on how to "train" them to go to roost would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Back
Top Bottom