The Duck Thread

Lost a fight with a table saw a few months back working on this fence, took the tips of two fingers....from my good hand. Happy to be back at it tho.
Attimus
Sorry to hear of your accident. Glad you are back at it!

I was wondering if I were to incubate my duck eggs if once they hatch I can put them with my current ducks and they'll just treat them like their own ducklings? My mom wants more ducks xD and I want to incubate eggs instead of buying ducklings. I know some stuff about it but does anyone have some advise?
No, they will not treat ducklings nicely and can kill them. Do not plan to put them in with your current ducks till they are full grown and the same size. You will also need to introduce them slowly and preferably with a fence at first so they can't touch but can see each other. Once they aren't set on attacking one another then you can move to slow supervised time together. That goes for any ducklings or new ducks added to a flock. If you just put them all together the old ducks will see them as an outsider and chase/attack them.
X2

Lawnmower had to be awful. It kinda crazy how many people I've run across that have lost a fingertip or two.
I love building stuff for the birds, its pretty much a hobby and my downfall:)
Attimus
We are getting ready to build a raised platform for the ducks. Nothing fancy, just elevated. We will then sit the 10 x 10 chain link enclosure on it. And of course we have to build a ramp too! We have it planned for 3 days but in all reality it will probably be over a week!
wink.png

Going to be interesting convincing the ducks to go into their little laying house overnight. Wish me luck! lol

Bugs' babies started hatching today
wee.gif
9 so far, 1 DIS and 2 external pips, total of 14 eggs. She's a waaayy better mom than I am at incubating. WOW, this was sooo easy, lol

Last edited:
Nice looking pond.  Do you have any kind of pump/filter system on it?

Currently no, there's a drain at the bottom with a valve out the back side, I have two large submersible pumps that I'm planning on incorporating into a water fall but that's later. It's been over a year since I dug out the small hole that is now a giant cement puddle and I imagine I'll spend at least another working on it.
Great looking ducklings, adorable.

We are getting ready to build a raised platform for the ducks. Nothing fancy, just elevated. We will then sit the 10 x 10 chain link enclosure on it. And of course we have to build a ramp too! We have it planned for 3 days but in all reality it will probably be over a week! ;)

Going to be interesting convincing the ducks to go into their little laying house overnight. Wish me luck!

All my boys and girls are so irritated I'm in their space right now lol. They are already figuring out to fly around the obstruction tho, think one of the drakes hit some fencing first day it was up, he's alright just a little dumfounded by its presence. I'm sure they'll be happy when your done as mine will be.
Attimus

Guys, I think I'm going to have to swear off this forum. All these duckling pictures are making me crazy! Why do I want ducklings?? I have too many ducks already, lol. Those Swedish 'lings are so super cute!

No, they will not treat ducklings nicely and can kill them. Do not plan to put them in with your current ducks till they are full grown and the same size. You will also need to introduce them slowly and preferably with a fence at first so they can't touch but can see each other. Once they aren't set on attacking one another then you can move to slow supervised time together. That goes for any ducklings or new ducks added to a flock. If you just put them all together the old ducks will see them as an outsider and chase/attack them.

Ok thanks. I'll make sure to tell my mom. I know I read one place that you can't put them together and another that they do. So I am glad to find out that you really can't do that so that everyone stays safe.
Also I know pekins aren't the most broody duck breed but with they hatch their own ducklings ever?

Thanks you!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom