The Duck Thread

Guys, I'm rethinking whether Snowflake is half WH of half pekin. I am certain her father is my mallard drake, Potato. But I'm starting to think (hope) her mother is my beloved pekin Waffles who died recently.

Snowflake was mostly yellow as a baby, with black on her head and tail. But she darkened up as molted, which is what made me first suspect my WH has the mother. But now that she's grown, I'm thinking maybe her mom is actually Waffles, which would be just great to have a Waffles/Potato baby.

Snowflake's head and neck are very round and thick, like Waffles, and she carries her squarish body low to the ground, whereas my WH female has a long slender neck and a slimmer more stream-lined body. Snowflake also has a white chest, white tipped feathers on her wings and pure white flight feathers. My WH female doesn't have either of these traits.

But the biggest thing my husband pointed out recently was her bill and feet color are bright orange, where female mallards and WH have very dark bills and legs. So where did she get the orange bill from? The only two ducks I had with orange bills/legs were Waffles and my fawn/white runner, and I KNOW Snowflake ain't no runner girl. She's too round lol.

I would be just so happy if she was Waffles offspring. I believe I have a male offspring from Potato/Waffles, -he has white flight feathers too- but he needs to be culled soon. But not Snowflake. I can keep her :) So what do you all think? Does anyone have any experience with mallard/pekin crosses, or pictures of them? Pictures for reference below:

Snowflake as a duckling

Snowflake today:

Here is my WH that I thought was her mom at first:

And the duck I suspect to be her full brother:

Guys, I'm rethinking whether Snowflake is half WH of half pekin. I am certain her father is my mallard drake, Potato. But I'm starting to think (hope) her mother is my beloved pekin Waffles who died recently.

Snowflake was mostly yellow as a baby, with black on her head and tail. But she darkened up as molted, which is what made me first suspect my WH has the mother. But now that she's grown, I'm thinking maybe her mom is actually Waffles, which would be just great to have a Waffles/Potato baby.

Snowflake's head and neck are very round and thick, like Waffles, and she carries her squarish body low to the ground, whereas my WH female has a long slender neck and a slimmer more stream-lined body. Snowflake also has a white chest, white tipped feathers on her wings and pure white flight feathers. My WH female doesn't have either of these traits.

But the biggest thing my husband pointed out recently was her bill and feet color are bright orange, where female mallards and WH have very dark bills and legs. So where did she get the orange bill from? The only two ducks I had with orange bills/legs were Waffles and my fawn/white runner, and I KNOW Snowflake ain't no runner girl. She's too round lol.

I would be just so happy if she was Waffles offspring. I believe I have a male offspring from Potato/Waffles, -he has white flight feathers too- but he needs to be culled soon. But not Snowflake. I can keep her
smile.png
So what do you all think? Does anyone have any experience with mallard/pekin crosses, or pictures of them? Pictures for reference below:

Snowflake as a duckling

Snowflake today:

Here is my WH that I thought was her mom at first:

And the duck I suspect to be her full brother:
Your bewrd ducks are sooo cute. Are Snowflake's webs in the top pics in a bootie?

Duck drama update. . Rick has his new girl's & are all getting along just fine. This is the first mating season that he will have plenty of girls. Last year all he had was Lauren. He tore up her neck feathers untill they were gone. Lauren is taking over and showing dominance to Jacqueline. Lauren gets on top of Jacqueline like Rick does. They are all trying to get into the small tub, so I'm off to Home Depot to get a larger one. My girlfriend has some & said she got in the cement mixing department. Who knew.:idunno
The egg's from the Muscovy's are extra jumbo. .

The spoiled rotten brat's when they were younger, stuffed in the roasting pan..

The Muscovy's love to perch.

Back
Top Bottom