The Duck Thread

To the chicken people in this thread (yes I know it's the duck thread lol): how and when can you tell the sex of young chickens? What do you look for?
It's easier to tell when they are younger than 5 days the pullets start growing in their wing feathers faster than the cockerel's. you still maybe able to tell look close at the feathers on their wings or post some pics maybe I can help or you'll have to wait for a crow or egg.
wink.png

It's easier to tell when they are younger than 5 days the pullets start growing in their wing feathers faster than the cockerel's. you still maybe able to tell look close at the feathers on their wings or post some pics maybe I can help or you'll have to wait for a crow or egg.
wink.png
EEE. So cute. a crow or an egg. i like that. then you'll know if you've got a boy or a girl. heehee.

I am getting ready to add some more birds to my flock, I want to double check and make sure that 25 sqft per duck or run space is enough for them to live happily. Is that correct?

I notice from the pictures of freshly hatched ducklings that there are pine chips on the bottom of the brooder. The information I have read say to put down paper towels, cheesecloth or some other non slip material down to keep the ducklings from becoming straddle legged . I have some bed pads that you would use for elderly people can I put this on the bottom of the brooder to soak up any messes? Would I put this on the bottom over the pine shavings or just have pine shavings and no other materials in the brooder?

Will be getting 5 babies next week and trying to set everything up. I have the light adjusted at the correct temperature but was confused about the bedding in the floor of the brooder/box. Help please!

Thanks!
I use the bed pads in my brooder by themselves for about 3 wks. After that it's pine shavings only

Good luck with your babies. Be sure to post pictures if you can.

To the chicken people in this thread (yes I know it's the duck thread lol): how and when can you tell the sex of young chickens? What do you look for?
wink.png
Also, cockerels combs and waddles grow faster and are red at an earlier age than pullets. Pullets don't go red until just before first lay.

1-16-16 Seems like just yesterday and now today...

2 girls, 4 boys
barnie.gif

Bugs' 13... 3 girls and 10 boys
barnie.gif
he.gif
th.gif

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom