The Duck Thread

So apparently I'm dumb when it comes to chicks. I figured they would like lettuce as much as ducklings, but apparently not. I put a big bowl of chopped lettuce in their brooder thinking they would all go crazy for it. The ducklings are quite pleased, but the chicks are hardly touching it. They just looks up at me like, "seriously, that's all you got?" Lol
Try spaghetti noodles. They think they are worms, lol. Just offer grit if you are offering anything other than commercial feed. My chickens like meat and berries way more than greens. Try a strawberry too.

I have a question when ducks and chicks housed together and you have chick and duck baby feed and treats together how do you segregation the food to keep ducks to eat duck food and baby chicks to eat chick food if there housed together .
You don't. Just get a food that both can eat. Ducks and chickens basically eat the same thing anyway. All my ducks and chickens eat later pellets. When they were babies they all go chick starter and then maintenance grower/finisher (15% protein) till they went on layer.

Last edited:
I would just give them the crumbles with some brewer's yeast for the first month. In that development stage it is so important that they get all the nutrients they need and the starter crumble is formulated to be that. Plus when they are little they like being with something big and warm so they don't need the treats so much. For every bit of treat they eat, they aren't eating perfectly balanced feed. I am probably over cautious there, but that is how I play month 1. Once they are older they can eat what they like and pass on the things they don't.

My two girls like to be muddy but my boy is constantly cleaning himself off. Go figure xD
Sorry about the blurry pic. They wouldn't stay still long enough to get a good pic

Last edited:
Do not give baby chicks any food from the kitchen. It will harm them. Chick medicated or non medicated feed only not grit or anything for the first 3 weeks. They can not eat it they can't digest it. There not ducks.

Do not give baby chicks any food from the kitchen. It will harm them. Chick medicated or non medicated feed only not grit or anything for the first 3 weeks. They can not eat it they can't digest it. There not ducks.
I'm quite aware they are chicks not ducks, but I don't believe that what you are saying is true at all. Chicks hatched by a hen eat bugs, grass and grit as soon as they walk out of the coop. So there is just no logic in saying they cannot have anything but chick starter for the first few weeks. You are free to do as you wish with your own chicks but mine all get scraps early in life along with chick grit.

Last edited:
I'm quite aware they are chicks not ducks, but I don't believe that what you are saying is true at all. Chicks hatched by a hen eat bugs, grass and grit as soon as they walk out of the coop. So there is just no logic in saying they cannot have anything but chick started for the first few weeks. You are free to do as you wish with your own chicks but mine all get scraps early in life along with chick grit.
Could not agree more. Mine got treats and grit from day two and they all grew up fine. Of more importance, in my opinion, is making sure they have plenty of room. From picture I have seen online most brooders are far too small for either chickens or ducks.

Is it normal for drakes to become "aggressive"? My drake used to be the sweetest but now he chases people around and bites their feet... Which I wouldn't mind all that much except I don't like to wear shoes so now I have bruises on my feet.. Is he doing this out of protective instincts or is he trying to play? He doesn't always do it, it's more random.

Back
Top Bottom