The Duck Thread

Do you have something like a wire dog kennel? All my ducks began their lives in one and it worked fine. Otherwise anything that is tall enough and large enough for them to move about, have food and water. You can always cover the top of a box or something like that (a large plastic tote from Walmart about 20 bucks) cover it with a piece of screen or chicken wire as a temporary solution.

I looked at your location and weather. Actually your weather looks pretty good for letting them outside before they are fully feathered. They will need shelter in the night and a secure are to keep them from harm. You look to be in the mid 80's in the day and the 60's at night except for a little cold spell this coming weekend. So, if you move them out make sure they have a warm spot to huddle in without piling up and suffocating the smallest on the bottom. If you use a heat lamp make sure it can not start a fire and that it is securely fastened. Don't depend on just the clamp that comes with it.

If they are closely bonded now then they will help each other stay warm if needed.

Thanks! I was planning on taking them outside tomorrow in a wire dog kennel. It is supposed to be 89 degrees!!! I think they will enjoy having grass under their feet. I will take the solid plastic tray out of the bottom so the wire is next to the ground and let them play. Hopefully my big girls will be interested and come say Hi...we can always hope! We have had a very mild winter here so far.

So far is seems to be "tall enough" that is the problem. I have one that can JUMP!! I have them in a tote currently but I know they are growing fast and will need something larger for them. Once they are fully feathered do they still need a heat lamp?

Thanks for yall's advice! It's great to be able to bounce things off of everyone!

M
If you look through my pics I have my set up. I used a kiddie pool and put wire around it to keep them in. It work for 4 till they were just under 6 weeks. I also took them outside quite a bit. I then switched them to my kids large kiddie pool that had the slide attached and they only went in that at night and were in the garage with no heat. You are in TX right? With it being so warm they will be find during the day for the next few days. They were just saying it's going to get cool again at the end of the week. Mine we outside full time around 10 weeks, but with this year being so warm I bet they can go out sooner.

I really had to think about this one as I have a Drake with the same problem this time of year and I found that picking him up in front of the other geese seems to be an insult where as if I catch him away from the rest of the flock he is relaxed and he lets me carry him but in front of the flock he fights go get away and runs around with his wings out and honks a lot after I release him animals are just so funny ...

You really don't want to insult him in front of the flock if there are other males as you could lower his standing in the flock .

If you take him away from the flock and try to get him to sit on your lap till he is calm with you and then let him walk back to the flock not carried should help as this is how I got my gander to keep a distance from me but he is still the big man on campus .  

Yeah. I mean he doesn't seem to mind too much. Also he's the only drake so that wouldn't be an issue, and even though he is on top of the "pecking" order the girls tell him the what's for whether he likes it or not.

Our reoun ducks are feathering- I can't find information about juvenile duck colors. Right now they are patterned brown- so does this mean we actually have females?

I think I found my answer to be a big fat no! :p Oh well, guess I will just wait and see. (I read the vent sexing sticky, but I don't think they would cooperate for that)

Last edited:
Our reoun ducks are feathering-  I can't find information about juvenile duck colors.  Right now they are patterned brown- so does this mean we actually have females? 

I think I found my answer to be a big fat no! :p Oh well, guess I will just wait and see. (I read the vent sexing sticky, but I don't think they would cooperate for that)
Are any of them starting to quack? How old are they? http://www.majesticwaterfowl.org/artquacks.htm

Our reoun ducks are feathering- I can't find information about juvenile duck colors. Right now they are patterned brown- so does this mean we actually have females?

The first thing I noticed with my Rouens was my drake got a green tint to his bill. The second thing I noticed was the female started quacking. Then the drake finally started getting green head feathers and the drake curl.

If you look at the one in the back, that is my drake Pogo before he got his adult coloring. But his beak has a green tint.

Are any of them starting to quack? How old are they? http://www.majesticwaterfowl.org/artquacks.htm
I was directed to this same link when I got my first brood. Although I can recognize the sexes from their samples now, I remember being a bit frustrated because my duck didn't sound like either sample so I still wasn't sure. So at the beginning of this year I posted this: https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/1073315/voice-sexing-your-mallard-derivative-duck
I just put my two drakes in the bath tub and filmed them there and preening afterward. You can see they pretty much only make one exact noise (they whistle later in life, but by that time you can sex them by drake feather / coloration / eggs). While my drakes were in the tub I went out and took a short video of my ducks and since their drakes were missing, they were very vocal and you can hear that ducks make many different sounds, thunks, chatter, quacks and squeeks. I hope this helps
big_smile.png

The first thing I noticed with my Rouens was my drake got a green tint to his bill. The second thing I noticed was the female started quacking. Then the drake finally started getting green head feathers and the drake curl.

If you look at the one in the back, that is my drake Pogo before he got his adult coloring. But his beak has a green tint.

I was directed to this same link when I got my first brood. Although I can recognize the sexes from their samples now, I remember being a bit frustrated because my duck didn't sound like either sample so I still wasn't sure. So at the beginning of this year I posted this: https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/1073315/voice-sexing-your-mallard-derivative-duck
I just put my two drakes in the bath tub and filmed them there and preening afterward. You can see they pretty much only make one exact noise (they whistle later in life, but by that time you can sex them by drake feather / coloration / eggs). While my drakes were in the tub I went out and took a short video of my ducks and since their drakes were missing, they were very vocal and you can hear that ducks make many different sounds, thunks, chatter, quacks and squeeks. I hope this helps
big_smile.png

Thanks all! I will check out their beaks today. I think they are just 4 weeks? I've lost track of time. . .They are really loud when separated. Pretty much the same size, on is slightly darker

Does anyone know of any duck rescues in Northern California? I'd like to rescue some from the "lake" in town but I don't want to get arrested so I'll have to go with a rescue

I have adopted two ducks a few months ago. Once I expand the duck house, I hope to adopt a few more.

Does anyone know of any duck rescues in Northern California? I'd like to rescue some from the "lake" in town but I don't want to get arrested so I'll have to go with a rescue

I have adopted two ducks a few months ago. Once I expand the duck house, I hope to adopt a few more.
Lots of places listed here https://www.google.com/search?cof=L...r+fowl+rescue+in+Calif&btnG=Search&gws_rd=ssl

@Y-Knot http://www.luckyduckrescue.org/about_ducks.html

Is there anyone you can talk to at the lake, they may be eager to get them a home especially if you tell them about how letting wild and domestics breed it messes up the gene pool of the wild but then again you may have to take home the whole lot then.
http://www.farmsanctuary.org/the-sanctuaries/orland-ca/ Northern Ca.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom