The Duck Thread

How old would you say these guys are? Very stressed out about this situation, a friend of mine took them thinking they were abandoned. Then asked me to take them to care for them. I've rang RSPCA and other such places and they just kept sending me back and forth to one another. The last lad I spoke to told me to look after them until they're old enough to be released back into the wild but this means special treatment so they'll be able to look after themselves when they are old enough. I have a heat lamp, but not sure what temperature to set it at as i haven't a clue how old they are. Feel really sad that they were taken away from the mama duck and it's too late to take them back as he has had them for a few days. I hope I can either find a professional (have been trying) or am able myself to get them to where they need to be as wild mallards.

I'm guessing that they're about a week old. Can you raise them as pets? We start them at a floor temperature of 90 degrees and decrease by 5 degrees weekly.

Thanks for the heads up! We actually did ask today, these guys come from Hoover hatchery.

I am so glad. We have enough problems hatching, raising these littles. We do not need hatcheries adding to it. The thread was from last year but says Mt has had prior problems. I will be watching your Runners grow. I have 18 shipped Runners in bator now. Only day 7, have development in 12. Still along way to go.
Linda

Man, it's been a while since I've posted on here. I got a new phone and needed some time to figure out how to use it. Update on the chicks and ducks: broken wing chick is still with us and he and his temporary cagemate are successfully integrated back with the rest of them. The ducklings are huge compared to the chicks, despite being a week younger. They absolutely hated being in the bathtub away from the chicks (that's a new one for me, ducks hating bathtime??). So I brought the bath to them and put a shallow container of water in the brooder for the ducks to splash in. Success :) of course we cleaned the brooder afterwards. One new problem we are facing is keeping the chicks in the brooder. Them buggers like to jump abs flap and get themselves out. So far the window screens we put on top are doing the trick.

Also, I'm getting four eggs a day now, and my Cayuga is laying eggs that are half white and half darkish. However, they seem to have forgotten about their nice clean nest boxes, and have taken to laying their eggs in the mud, sigh. Here's my haul from the past few days:

Last edited:
I am so glad. We have enough problems hatching, raising these littles. We do not need hatcheries adding to it. The thread was from last year but says Mt has had prior problems. I will be watching your Runners grow. I have 18 shipped Runners in bator now. Only day 7, have development in 12. Still along way to go.
Linda
Wow sounding like it is going great so far! Good luck with the rest of the process and I cannot wait to see them once they hatch!

Man, it's been a while since I've posted on here. I got a new phone and needed some time to figure out how to use it. Update on the chicks and ducks: broken wing chick is still with us and he and his temporary cagemate are successfully integrated back with the rest of them. The ducklings are huge compared to the chicks, despite being a week younger. They absolutely hated being in the bathtub away from the chicks (that's a new one for me, ducks hating bathtime??). So I brought the bath to them and put a shallow container of water in the brooder for the ducks to splash in. Success
smile.png
of course we cleaned the brooder afterwards. One new problem we are facing is keeping the chicks in the brooder. Them buggers like to jump abs flap and get themselves out. So far the window screens we put on top are doing the trick.

Also, I'm getting four eggs a day now, and my Cayuga is laying eggs that are half white and half darkish. However, they seem to have forgotten about their nice clean nest boxes, and have taken to laying their eggs in the mud, sigh. Here's my haul from the past few days:

LOL, I hate getting a new phone. Glad you're back and sooooo happy to hear broken wing is still with you.

That's a great haul!

Here are a few pics of my loves from this week. They love picking around in the orchard mulch. We used our first duck eggs to make a homemade breakfast pizza. It was amazing! I can't eat gluten so I make most things from scratch. And I mentioned on here before we would be getting a new puppy! Here he is, 12 week old Kaiser.
I love your pix. Congratulations on your cute new puppy. I can't eat gluten either.

I adopted a duck with one eye. The eye is not there. It's watery and does not look infected. I had him with a hen I also adopted and all was well. After a month of quarantine I introduced him to the flock. I thought they were all getting along. Then one day I noticed the other eye was damaged. Not sure if he was pecked but it looks bad. Now I have a totally blind duck. I'm so sad for him. Does anyone know if this could be a disease? Or just bad luck. How do I take care of the eye, or where the eye was. Any thoughts?

@Chicken Dale Welcome to BYC!!

If you mean chickens then he could have gotten pecked in the eye, Chickens are bad for that. or even one of the other ducks could have gotten him, I'd make a saline wash and rinse out the eyes real well 1/4 tea of salt to 1 cup of warm water rinse the eye a couple times a day. You'll need to keep his food and water in the same spot always so he can find it and I wouldn't let him free range. unless your out there to watch he makes it back okay. It would be nice if one of the other ducks would buddy up with him have read where a duck will help another get around when one is blind. There is a product called Veterycin spray for wounds and infections that can help too maybe try to find it also.

Maybe you can bring out feed and water and train him to it by whistling I have trained my flock to come to me by bringing out snacks and whistling and shaking the bucket so they can hear it. It would work for a blind duck also make sure there isn't anything in his path and try that when you bring out food and water.I wish you the best and please let us know how he is doing. Oh and with swimming I wouldn't let him get into a pool unless your there to watch he can find his way out okay.

How old would you say these guys are? Very stressed out about this situation, a friend of mine took them thinking they were abandoned. Then asked me to take them to care for them. I've rang RSPCA and other such places and they just kept sending me back and forth to one another. The last lad I spoke to told me to look after them until they're old enough to be released back into the wild but this means special treatment so they'll be able to look after themselves when they are old enough. I have a heat lamp, but not sure what temperature to set it at as i haven't a clue how old they are. Feel really sad that they were taken away from the mama duck and it's too late to take them back as he has had them for a few days. I hope I can either find a professional (have been trying) or am able myself to get them to where they need to be as wild mallards.

Still in down no feathers less then two week old
jumpy.gif

Back
Top Bottom