The Duck Thread

I just left our yr old drake on the staert n grow, he has access to a pond though and he loves his veggies and some fruits lol

So, it's day 23ish of incubation and all of my duck eggs (being brooded under a goose) suddenly have these black spots in them. They weren't there yesterday. The mom is a Cayuga / runner mix. Are they rotten or is it normal for duck eggs to do this? They have been alive (as far as I could tell) every time I candled them - last time was about a week ago.

So, it's day 23ish of incubation and all of my duck eggs (being brooded under a goose) suddenly have these black spots in them. They weren't there yesterday. The mom is a Cayuga / runner mix. Are they rotten or is it normal for duck eggs to do this? They have been alive (as far as I could tell) every time I candled them - last time was about a week ago.

They maybe pipping.... I'd candle. Smell em. Bad smell, bad egg. But definitely candle.

Last edited:
They maybe pipping.... I'd candle. Smell em. Bad smell, bad egg. But definitely candle.

No smell that I could detect other than goose butt. I want to candle them but my goose was being especially stressed when I checked on the eggs. Maybe she knows something I don't.

Well I just had a close call about half an hour ago with the neighbor's dogs. I was letting the ducks forage in the yard outside their pen while I cleaned the coop and tended to the chicks, and my dog was milling about the yard as he always does when I am out in the pen. I heard shouting and saw that the neighbors black Shepherd mix was running in the field between our houses, and the neighbor was shouting at her to come back. What I didn't notice was that ANOTHER dog that I didn't know they even had had already reached the edge of the yard and was only about fifteen feet from my ducks. My dog shot out of nowhere and rushed at the other dog, a white husky dog. The strange dog immediately turned tail and ran home, and my dog stopped at the edge of our yard as he is trained to do. It all happened in seconds before I could even think to react. All I had time to do was yell my dogs name, and of course he came back to me. I am very thankful my dog is more vigilant and observant than I am.

And here is the hero himself, Chevy. I love my dog!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom