The Duck Thread

Hi everyone
frow.gif
I haven't been in here in awhile thanks to being crazy busy with my move, but things are settling down now (although we are still not actually moved into the new place, lol). I'm just about to start incubating some duck eggs - khaki campbells starting tomorrow (I'll be doing six eggs and my goose will get the other six) and then hopefully some WH the next week. First incubation of the season! Just fired up the incubator tonight and it heated up like a charm.

Hi Pyxis! Good luck with the moving & hope you have a successful hatch!
fl.gif

I hadsome nice time with the birds yesterday evening. Spoiled the big ducks with some foraging time, and spoiled the little ones with lots of treats.

I think the ducks are getting antsy to join the adults. Eggos watched them wistfully through the cage.

My girl Gobbles.

The male buff sat on my lap for a while.

Black hen, I think

Red cockerel, I think

It's kind of sweet how broken wing always beds down with the chick we kept in his hospital cage for company.

Great pictures! Looks like you had a beautiful day.

I've been absent from this site for awhile...Christmas time got hectic and i just haven't made it bk but I wanted to chime bk in! Hehe! Lots has happened since I was on last! I only had the one Peking duck, Quackers with all my chickens bk then and since I have added 2 more females, Bianca & Penelope and a male, Big Boy Leroy & I'm happy to say I have one of them setting on her nest right now so I should have me some cute little babies b4 too long! They all live happily with all my chickens and I have no problems! They r all soooo sweet! They were a little scared of me at first and now they have grown to trust me! I just love all of my feather babies! Oh yeah! & Chick Pea, my now 17lb CX chicken has been enlisted to help protect Bianca's nest so she stays right there with her most of the day! She's doing pretty good too and made it past her first birthday! Boots, my porcelain booted bantam rooster that was in love with Quackers is now in love with Chick Pea...I guess he just likes big butts! Lol! I also have a bantam hen setting on a pile of eggs too so baby chicks r on the way too! I can't wait!

I've been absent from this site for awhile...Christmas time got hectic and i just haven't made it bk but I wanted to chime bk in! Hehe! Lots has happened since I was on last! I only had the one Peking duck, Quackers with all my chickens bk then and since I have added 2 more females, Bianca & Penelope and a male, Big Boy Leroy & I'm happy to say I have one of them setting on her nest right now so I should have me some cute little babies b4 too long! They all live happily with all my chickens and I have no problems! They r all soooo sweet! They were a little scared of me at first and now they have grown to trust me! I just love all of my feather babies! Oh yeah! & Chick Pea, my now 17lb CX chicken has been enlisted to help protect Bianca's nest so she stays right there with her most of the day! She's doing pretty good too and made it past her first birthday! Boots, my porcelain booted bantam rooster that was in love with Quackers is now in love with Chick Pea...I guess he just likes big butts! Lol! I also have a bantam hen setting on a pile of eggs too so baby chicks r on the way too! I can't wait!
Welcome back! That's great they all get along! You do know that your CX chicken probably won't have a very long life right?

Here's some bath time pics of 2 of them!
They look like they're having fun!

I hadsome nice time with the birds yesterday evening. Spoiled the big ducks with some foraging time, and spoiled the little ones with lots of treats.

I think the ducks are getting antsy to join the adults. Eggos watched them wistfully through the cage.

My girl Gobbles.

The male buff sat on my lap for a while.

Black hen, I think

Red cockerel, I think

It's kind of sweet how broken wing always beds down with the chick we kept in his hospital cage for company.
@PotatoWaffles I would say you have Mastered the Flock
love.gif

Keep up the great work as they love you for sure
thumbsup.gif

Hi all, I'm new to BYC and I'm not sure if this is the correct way to ask questions, but I saw there are A LOT of people using this thread. So, I need insight from you guys!

I've had Pekin ducks in the past. Loved having them! I have a natural pond in my acreage, although it's not huge. I stock it with minnows that winter just fine as it doesn't freeze solid (I'm from North Dakota). My Pekin family has been wiped out, completely, twice. We have bald eagles, hawks, and humongous owls, in addition to the regular four footed predators.

My question: I want to turn a large wooden wire/cable spool into a floating duck house. I have looked everywhere, figuring somebody had to have posted about this very thing somewhere - no luck! Am I delusional in thinking this would work? It the center of the spool is a hole, which I plan to run a pole through so it will stay located far off shore and rise and fall well with the water level. I am enclosing it with wood all around, adding an entrance.

Can I get some feedback/ideas/suggestions? Thanks!

I am trying to come up with a solution . I am not sure if I want to put the middle set of ducks outside or in with my bigger hens in the house. The bigger hens cage is hard to clean it's on plastic and cardboard on carpet. And outside if the one pekin became a male as we learned here it wouldn't be safe for my hope who is blind. My partner wants them outside.

I am trying to come up with a solution . I am not sure if I want to put the middle set of ducks outside or in with my bigger hens in the house. The bigger hens cage is hard to clean it's on plastic and cardboard on carpet. And outside if the one pekin became a male as we learned here it wouldn't be safe for my hope who is blind. My partner wants them outside.
While I understand the whole concept of a house-duck or house-goose the idea of a flock being housed indoors just does not sound like a very good idea. They (chickens, ducks and geese) need outside space, room to wander and play and the chance to be what they are...birds. While we may all treat some (or all) of our birds as pets they are pets in a different way than a cat or dog.

I would suggest that you keep your ducks outside in a pen or area with water and a place to be free but with shelter and security at night. As for your hens that I am guessing you have inside as well. Consider fixing up a place outside for them as well. They will be much happier and healthier.

Back
Top Bottom