The Duck Thread

So I have learned today not to trust my drake what so ever. Him and my other ducks where hanging out with the chickens and I went to bring the chickens back to the coop and he starts going after my poor silkie roo and the roo ran past one of my ducks and in an attempt to bite the rooster my drake grabbed the ducks wing and wouldn't let go. My poor rooster already is a little skiddish. Moral of the story drakes are probably the worst male creature during the spring.

Last edited:
Is she too old for it now? This is her in the bottom left, you can just make out the wing sticking out.
Also, how do you deal with her getting in and out of the pool, will it hurt the vet wrap to get wet? I understand you need to leave it on for 7-10 days. She is free ranging during the day. Is this a problem?

Mandy, I'm also trying to wrap for angle wing. My 5 week old Sweedish has angle wing on left side. I also studied the thread about angle wing. Very hard to understand just how to wrap. I just went ahead. I did do 1 wrap on the wing then around the body leaving the right wing free. I used vet wrap. I think I made my wrap alittle to wide but will rewrap tomorrow.

I will check him in an hour to see. (1) if he is ok and (2) to see if he got it off.
Good luck with yours. Linda

My blue Swedish has angel wing, if it looks like the wing is kinda folding out then it'll most likely have angel wing. If that helps any.

I have decided that the ducks in picture do not have angle wing. But my younger (5 week) blue Sweedish does. I tried to wrap the wing to the body. He was very tolerant of it. But I think I made the wrap to wide. I will redo it tomorrow.

Good luck with your Sweedish
Linda

Mandy, I'm also trying to wrap for angle wing. My 5 week old Sweedish has angle wing on left side. I also studied the thread about angle wing. Very hard to understand just how to wrap. I just went ahead. I did do 1 wrap on the wing then around the body leaving the right wing free. I used vet wrap. I think I made my wrap alittle to wide but will rewrap tomorrow.

I will check him in an hour to see. (1) if he is ok and (2) to see if he got it off.
Good luck with yours. Linda
That looks good! I hope it stays on!

Hi

I'm trying to incubate runner ducks and am having no luck. i have some eggs that have air sacs that are too small for the age of the eggs and was wondering if any people who are successful at correcting this problem could have a look at my post about the eggs and give me some feedback or advice. https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/1099126/air-sac-is-way-too-small-need-advice-please i'm pretty sure that i had my humidity too high. it's confusing on lots of the websites and reference books that i was looking at, and i think that i was using wet bulb recommendations instead of %humidity/hygrometer readings.

Hi

I'm trying to incubate runner ducks and am having no luck. i have some eggs that have air sacs that are too small for the age of the eggs and was wondering if any people who are successful at correcting this problem could have a look at my post about the eggs and give me some feedback or advice. https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/1099126/air-sac-is-way-too-small-need-advice-please i'm pretty sure that i had my humidity too high. it's confusing on lots of the websites and reference books that i was looking at, and i think that i was using wet bulb recommendations instead of %humidity/hygrometer readings.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/1081034/hands-on-hatching-and-help/2010#post_16901639

Hi

I'm trying to incubate runner ducks and am having no luck. i have some eggs that have air sacs that are too small for the age of the eggs and was wondering if any people who are successful at correcting this problem could have a look at my post about the eggs and give me some feedback or advice. https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/1099126/air-sac-is-way-too-small-need-advice-please i'm pretty sure that i had my humidity too high. it's confusing on lots of the websites and reference books that i was looking at, and i think that i was using wet bulb recommendations instead of %humidity/hygrometer readings.
I saw where you got great advice from the best already so I'm just writing to say good luck
fl.gif
I will say one thing about air cell sizes you can be way off but able still to correct it with in hatching time. Are you weighing your eggs?

Back
Top Bottom