The Duck Thread

I have a question. ...I found what I believe is a duck egg abandoned in my driveway I looked around there was no nest anywhere so I brought it in (I have a gecko that requires high temps and humidity so he is in our mud room that is heated and kept with humidity) that's the room I took the egg to. I candled egg the first day because well frankly I know nothing else about eggs, it was clear nothing in it so I thought ill just keep it out here before throwing out. After 7 days I candled again and there was a clear air sac and embryo sac with veins and I could see some flickering. Today is day 10 and it matches everything I have read to what it should look like on this day. I guess my question is....how likely will it be that it hatches given I have a homemade incubator? Ive been turning egg and candling watching temp and humidity. I have learned a lot the past few days reading but I dont believe I know enough. And im really hoping the egg will hatch! At this point I feel I have saved the baby...so far.ughhhh

Yes, it should hatch depending on the temerature if the temperature is at at least 90 degrees I am almost 100% positive that it will hatch,I am no expert in this catagory, but I have done a lot of research on the subject.Hope you get a new baby duck, if so please post lots of pictures when he/she hatches.
thumbsup.gif

Last edited:
Pyxis makes a good point. This is a bit of a guess, but high calcium could be causing kidney problems which might lead to leg swelling.

In any case, the feed issue could be a bigger deal than one might think.

And with these things, it could be one of a dozen problems..... we just make our best guesses based on the description.
Question on feed. My ducklings are around 9 weeks old, I have 2 adult Pekins as well as the 5 ducklings (Cayuga, Blue Swedish and Pekin), all my birds are hens. I have been working to change the babies over to layer pellets. Right now I am about 1/2 chick starter (non medicated, 20% protein) and 1/2 layer pellets. Is this okay? I am concerned it may be too soon but am trying to make my life easier with the feed issue. They are all together during the night (free ranging during the day) so it will be tough to separate out their food.

Thanks in advance.

Question on feed. My ducklings are around 9 weeks old, I have 2 adult Pekins as well as the 5 ducklings (Cayuga, Blue Swedish and Pekin), all my birds are hens. I have been working to change the babies over to layer pellets. Right now I am about 1/2 chick starter (non medicated, 20% protein) and 1/2 layer pellets. Is this okay? I am concerned it may be too soon but am trying to make my life easier with the feed issue. They are all together during the night (free ranging during the day) so it will be tough to separate out their food.

Thanks in advance.
9 weeks is awfully young to be on layer feed (my opinion) I would be concerned that they would not get the nutrition they need to grow and have healthy development of the nervous system and bones as well as they may get too much calcium from the layer feed and end up with problems related to that.

Thanks in advance.

It is a challenge. What about taking the littles aside for treats that have no or low calcium, so their daily intake is correct for them?

I have a question. ...I found what I believe is a duck egg abandoned in my driveway I looked around there was no nest anywhere so I brought it in (I have a gecko that requires high temps and humidity so he is in our mud room that is heated and kept with humidity) that's the room I took the egg to. I candled egg the first day because well frankly I know nothing else about eggs, it was clear nothing in it so I thought ill just keep it out here before throwing out. After 7 days I candled again and there was a clear air sac and embryo sac with veins and I could see some flickering. Today is day 10 and it matches everything I have read to what it should look like on this day. I guess my question is....how likely will it be that it hatches given I have a homemade incubator? Ive been turning egg and candling watching temp and humidity. I have learned a lot the past few days reading but I dont believe I know enough. And im really hoping the egg will hatch! At this point I feel I have saved the baby...so far.ughhhh

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/1081034/hands-on-hatching-and-help/2220#post_16932986
That link has lots of active hatchers and helpers!

Back
Top Bottom