The Duck Thread

Probably a stupid question.
I have three brown mallard, I always thought brown mallards : female. But they have green heads coming? Male or female? Dosent really matter but would just be nice to know.

They are probably young, and are still growing. Yours are all male

I noticed today that my duckling, who will be a week old tomorrow, has a cloudy, blue spot on her eye. I'm not sure what to do. I'm worried she might be going blind. She isn't showing any discomfort or sickness. What is your opinion? Is there anything I can do for her? I have a picture but can't upload it for some reason. Thanks.

It's not been a good week. I have one question I just want the easiest way and not a lot of money to be spent. How do you fix hot and cold spots in incubator and in a live duck.

I noticed today that my duckling, who will be a week old tomorrow, has a cloudy, blue spot on her eye. I'm not sure what to do. I'm worried she might be going blind. She isn't showing any discomfort or sickness. What is your opinion? Is there anything I can do for her? I have a picture but can't upload it for some reason. Thanks.
It's hard for us to say, could result in blindness might even be a cataract. If you can you might want to have a vet look at it. Might clear up on it's own too. Blind ducks or partial blind can live a normal life as long as they are kept safe from preds. and everything in their world is kept at same place all the time. Having a duck buddy helps too. Try taking your finger and trying to get as close to the eye that is showing the blue if she struggles she is seeing.

Last edited:
Probably a stupid question.
I have three brown mallard, I always thought brown mallards : female. But they have green heads coming? Male or female? Dosent really matter but would just be nice to know.

For most of the first year they all look like females so they blend in to the foliage and in the last part of the year they will get their adult colors and then there will be no more wondering if they are male or female
smile.png

Or for some people if they will be invited in for dinner or not
fl.gif

It's hard for us to say, could result in blindness might even be a cataract. If you can you might want to have a vet look at it. Might clear up on it's own too. Blind ducks or partial blind  can live a normal life as long as they are kept safe from preds. and everything in their world is kept at same place all the time. Having a duck buddy helps too. Try taking your finger and trying to get as close to the eye that is showing the blue if she struggles she is seeing.

Thank you. If it is a cataract is there anything that can be done? I definitely will keep her even if she is blind but if there is anything I can do I definitely want to help her. The bluish color is on and below the iris, so it's not on the pupil yet. But I'm assuming it will probably spread.

Back
Top Bottom