The Duck Thread

Well, I got the entire skeleton of my new duck house done today in about an hour and a half. Not a bad day's work! But it got too dark for pictures so I'll have to snap some tomorrow.

I drop on the ground find a good angle and wait XD seriously, everyday I'm covered in stuff from taking pictures!!!
Thank you, they are nice looking drakes, a Jumbo and regular.
Here they are again....

The Rouen boys, Freddie and Gibby

Becky and Holly

Becky again
Your ducks are so pretty! Becky has a nice crest. Is she a Runner?

Well, I got the entire skeleton of my new duck house done today in about an hour and a half. Not a bad day's work! But it got too dark for pictures so I'll have to snap some tomorrow.
That's pretty good for an hour and a half. How big is it? Don't forget to post pics tomorrow!
big_smile.png

That's pretty good for an hour and a half. How big is it? Don't forget to post pics tomorrow! :D

Will do! It's 8' by 4', 38.5" tall on the tall side sloping to 33" on the short side. I know that sounds really random but it's like that so it works perfectly with 1 by 6 boards, which will make up the walls.

Will do! It's 8' by 4', 38.5" tall on the tall side sloping to 33" on the short side. I know that sounds really random but it's like that so it works perfectly with 1 by 6 boards, which will make up the walls.
That's a good size coop.
Is there such a thing as coop-fever? 'Cause right now I feel like building another coop, even though I don't need one. Of course, you can't have empty coops, so maybe it's duck-fever.
tongue.png

Hi guys and gals I jumped in with both feet and got 12 ducks and 12 chickens got tons of questions can they stay in the same coupe when can I let them free range how do I get them off of my pond to come in at night all kinds of stuff please help

There are now 4 ducklings! I'm sorry I didn't get any pictures yet, it was really busy. Unfortunately the duckling that hatched under Mildred reminded her of the baby chickens that she hates and she accidently killed it.
hit.gif
So the rest we put under Dory and they are doing well, 2 Buff/Mallards and two Runner/Buffs.

I am a little worried about one duckling though, it has a couple of reddish purple bruises about the size of a "o" on it's leg, and it barely moves that leg. I looked at the leg and the joint isn't swollen, and its not broken or anything. Anyone who can help is greatly appreciated!
@Amiga , @Miss Lydia

Oooh, tough one.. I am not a hatcher, let me think. I wonder if it just had a rough go, getting out of the shell. I think I'd just make sure the temperature is good, the surface is grippy so there's no risk of leg injury, and then tomorrow put a couple of inches of 90F water in a cake pan or paint pan and let little play in that to help circulation. I don't know if something like an arnica-comfrey salve is okay for ducklings. Probably, but I don't know for sure ...

@casportpony
@learycow
@dotknott

Oooh, tough one.. I am not a hatcher, let me think. I wonder if it just had a rough go, getting out of the shell. I think I'd just make sure the temperature is good, the surface is grippy so there's no risk of leg injury, and then tomorrow put a couple of inches of 90F water in a cake pan or paint pan and let little play in that to help circulation. I don't know if something like an arnica-comfrey salve is okay for ducklings. Probably, but I don't know for sure ...

@casportpony
@learycow
@dotknott
Actually, it pipped on the wrong end of the shell then couldn't get out so I had to help it out. I removed the top half of the shell and it came out, blood vessels had dried up and the yolk was in so it was ready. The temperature should be good because it's under its mother, not in a incubator. We will give it a warm bath tomorrow.

Hi guys and gals I jumped in with both feet and got 12 ducks and 12 chickens got tons of questions can they stay in the same coupe when can I let them free range how do I get them off of my pond to come in at night all kinds of stuff please help

Wow! That's a lot for your first time! Good Luck! Yes they can share a coop, if you want, some people will probably say no but my ducks love my chickens :) they will come back to the coop for food. I ding a bell and try come back (I have a 60acre pond) all you have to do is ding the bell everytime you feed them. You should let them free range when they are a few months old. I'm glad you free range, animals like it better. Mine free range and are super healthy because they can get away from each other if they want. If you have any more questions just ask here. Someone will answer

Back
Top Bottom