The Duck Thread

I have a question. My Pekin is sitting on a nest and it's wet st the bottom. And she has layered her eggs through out the nest. She has a layer of eggs then shavings and so forth. Would it hurt to clean out her dog crate because she is inside. We've been cleaning in front of it and beside it but not the actual nest. Or would that disrupt her? I'm worried about bad eggs in the wet shavings.please advise

I have a question. My Pekin is sitting on a nest and it's wet st the bottom. And she has layered her eggs through out the nest. She has a layer of eggs then shavings and so forth. Would it hurt to clean out her dog crate because she is inside. We've been cleaning in front of it and beside it but not the actual nest. Or would that disrupt her? I'm worried about bad eggs in the wet shavings.please advise

What do you mean she's in the dog crate?
Pekins are unlikely to sit for the entire incubation. Eggs are layered?!?!
They have to be in one level otherwise they will not be heated equally. The bottom ones will rot and might spoil the others

She's a house duck and sleeps in the house at night after being out during the day. So yeah she's been sitting for around 3 weeks. She's built her nest to about 10 inches high

Hello from Arizona,, getting hot today.. Found an article from a friend and wanted to pass on..
http://ducksandclucks.com/blog/2015/01/13/bread-is-bad-for-ducks/
This is what our dusk's love

droolin.gif
Mmmm ... my ducks are jealous!

She's a house duck and sleeps in the house at night after being out during the day. So yeah she's been sitting for around 3 weeks. She's built her nest to about 10 inches high
The next time she is out during the daytime you might try carefully getting some of the bottom eggs and candle them to see if there is any development. If not then I would remove the bottom layer(s) and leave the top so that she does not get to upset with you.

I did
The next time she is out during the daytime you might try carefully getting some of the bottom eggs and candle them to see if there is any development. If not then I would remove the bottom layer(s) and leave the top so that she does not get to upset with you.
check the eggs on the bottom and they hadn't developed and were rotten. So we pulled those out and just put the eggs she had on the top back in. So she's still sitting on about 20 eggs after we pulled almost a dozen out. And we did it while she was enjoying her swim lol

Work on the new duck house continues! Not a lot more done, but by tomorrow it'll have walls. I spent the day getting the plywood to the proper dimensions to go on. But the hardware cloth went up over the ventilation holes today.

It'll be sandwiched between the outer walls and the inner structure once the walls go up so there's no way a predator will be yanking it off.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom