The Duck Thread

Lockdown was yesterday on my bator and my two pekin hens are coming to the last few days of sitting as well! SO EXCITED
wee.gif
celebrate.gif

Hi guys!!! I'm pretty new here and to having my one year old ducks I have 3 female and 1 male pekin ducks and they are wonderful! But I have a few questions how much are they suppose to eat I feel I feed them too much at time. They graze most of he day and I feed them 2 times, poultry feed, they sometimes have swollen idk many have told me it's where they store food? Right at the bottom of their neck is it pretty normal could I be feeding them too
Much? Thanks!!

Hi guys!!! I'm pretty new here and to having my one year old ducks I have 3 female and 1 male pekin ducks and they are wonderful! But I have a few questions how much are they suppose to eat I feel I feed them too much at time. They graze most of he day and I feed them 2 times, poultry feed, they sometimes have swollen idk many have told me it's where they store food? Right at the bottom of their neck is it pretty normal could I be feeding them too
Much? Thanks!!

I have read that ducks who don't have food available most of the time may really pack it in when they do get the food. Many people have set feeding times for their ducks, so it's a common practice - mine have food available 24/7. Even then, sometimes one will really dive in and have a bit of a pouch in the front for a little while.

Much? Thanks!!

So do you have any photos of your flock ...

This is Bob in the back and Aflack up front ,

Out chasing bugs in the evening .

If you think you are feeding your ducks too much and worried about it just ask the ducks if they would like their food supply rations cut
lau.gif

No they will always try to eat just enough and go back to chasing bugs and foraging as I always put out enough and I know the as they will leave the grains or what ever I put out and come back later and their little craw should have some feed in it to keep them happy with you
love.gif

gander007
old.gif

Much? Thanks!!

I also leave food out for mine 24/7 like Amiga, but more out of necessity for various ages... I almost always have young ones running around my yard with adults... the adults usually eat a bit in morn and forage the rest of the day, then eat again in the evening, with occasional snacking by some... the juveniles are almost always running back to eat... but I do notive the adults that don't stop in for a snack during the day will chow down a bit more and yes, they get a bit of a bulge of food as well... no worries, it goes down as they digest their food... :)

The duck coop is coming right along. All four walls are up and two are painted, haven't been able to get any pictures yet. It is already duck approved! Sugar, my pekin, was in there this morning checking it all out. I wouldn't be surprised if I find her daily egg in there later. Boy is she gonna be mad when she realizes she doesn't get to live there, lol!

Back
Top Bottom