The Duck Thread

Here are some more pictures of the ducklings! The one with the splayed leg is doing well, not completely normal but amazingly it is walking a little better every day!
wee.gif
I found out the two Mallard/Buff ducklings are sex-linked, the blue mallard being a male and the buff mallard looking one is a female! Gonna be a while till I know about the other two, the Runner/Buffs.

HELP!!!!! I had 7 mallard ducklings and over the weekend 3 of them mysteriously died. Last night there were 4, and this morning only two were still alive. I don't think it is predator related as they were all just found dead in the coop with no signs of injury. The two still alive are wobbly on their feet as if they don't have energy, and I'm worried they don't have much longer. They are fed Dumor chick starter and/or Dumor layer pellets and have plenty of water. I don't know what I'm doing wrong but I need help fast, I really enjoyed my flock. could this be an avian disease? Is their feed not appropriate? They are wild mallards that I hatched from eggs I found/rescued on a boat.

ETA they are no longer ducklings but in that in between teenager stage, almost done getting their adult feathers

HELP!!!!! I had 7 mallard ducklings and over the weekend 3 of them mysteriously died. Last night there were 4, and this morning only two were still alive. I don't think it is predator related as they were all just found dead in the coop with no signs of injury. The two still alive are wobbly on their feet as if they don't have energy, and I'm worried they don't have much longer. They are fed Dumor chick starter and/or Dumor layer pellets and have plenty of water. I don't know what I'm doing wrong but I need help fast, I really enjoyed my flock. could this be an avian disease? Is their feed not appropriate? They are wild mallards that I hatched from eggs I found/rescued on a boat.

ETA they are no longer ducklings but in that in between teenager stage, almost done getting their adult feathers

I have lost more then a few ducks to poisoning and not intentional poisoning but plants or even old radiator water pored out 20 years ago suppressing and sensitive ducks are they will defiantly tell you about any changes in the environment as ducks are so sensitive their webbed feet pick up everything on the ground as well as help them swim and stay cool in high heat as long as there is water to stand in ..

I feed my ducks hard boiled eggs with the shell removed and the egg mashed and this is a very old remedy I learned it from my grandpa over 5 decades ago .

Wish you well with your flock .

I am new to ducks. I have 3 mallard ducklings, a week old. Today i've noticed that their bellies are hard. It's like there is something in there. I felt some hard masses, like very tiny pebbles. It seems like they can't poop properly. Two of them are going back like they will poop, but nothing comes out. Please help me, I don't know what to do.

Here are some more pictures of the ducklings! The one with the splayed leg is doing well, not completely normal but amazingly it is walking a little better every day! :weee I found out the two Mallard/Buff ducklings are sex-linked, the blue mallard being a male and the buff mallard looking one is a female! Gonna be a while till I know about the other two, the Runner/Buffs.
Eeeeeep! I love mutt ducks :)

I am new to ducks. I have 3 mallard ducklings, a week old. Today i've noticed that their bellies are hard. It's like there is something in there. I felt some hard masses, like very tiny pebbles. It seems like they can't poop properly. Two of them are going back like they will poop, but nothing comes out. Please help me, I don't know what to do.

@megchu Welcome to BYC.

What are you feeding your ducklings? if anything beside their starter they really need grit to help them digest it. Since they are a week old why not place them in some nice warm water stay right with them and don't let them get cold but sometimes warm water will cause them to poop just the warmth of it. If they have been eating other things like veggies etc. then they need some chick grit put into a bowl right next to their feed bowl they don't eat alot of it but will use it as needed. Have you look at their bums to make sure they aren't pasted up. that is when their poop has dried to a hard crust over their bottoms and nothing can come out.

@Miss Lydia
Untill today I fed them only with chick starter, that was the only i could find here. Today i gave them cucmber because the bellies of all of them got swollen. Two of the duckling pooped some hard mass and since then they poop jelly-like mass. The other one doesn't poop at all, and got very lethargic. I am worried for it, because the two other seem fine (very playful and active). I put them in warm water twice a day. And i keep them inside.
I just looked and they don't have any crusts on their bottoms.

Last edited:
@Miss Lydia
Untill today I fed them only with chick starter, that was the only i could find here. Today i gave them cucmber because the bellies of all of them got swollen. Two of the duckling pooped some hard mass and since then they poop jelly-like mass. The other one doesn't poop at all, and got very lethargic. I am worried for it, because the two other seem fine (very playful and active). I put them in warm water twice a day. And i keep them inside.

Are they getting a little chick grit?

Back
Top Bottom