The Duck Thread

@PotatoWaffles Hi, i am so glad all your lings are doing well. they are soooo cute. i love lings. yes, they can get ferocious and very protective, its amazing huh? how many ducks do you have?
have you read this site before?

http://www.webvet.com/main/2009/01/09/duck-mating-sex-lives-ducks
this is a portions of it....

"Feminine Wiles

As reported in the May 1, 2007 issue of New York Times Science, Brennan concluded that the elaborate anatomy of female ducks had evolved in response to, and as a countermeasure against, aggressive males.

“Once they choose a male, they’re making the best possible choice, and that’s the male they want siring their offspring,” she said. “They don’t want the guy flying in from who knows where. It makes sense that they would develop a defense.”

Females protect themselves from undesired insemination through their long and complex oviduct (the equivalent of the vagina in birds). Brennan found that the vaginal tubes were not straight but had “all these weird structures, these pockets and spirals.” This served to impede the sperm’s fertilization mission; unwanted sperm could be stored in side chambers to be ejected later. The success of this design is proven by the fact that as many as one in three duck matings are rapes, but in nine out of ten of these, the offending sperm is eliminated, so 97 percent of all duck offspring are the result of the choice of the mother."

I think this is amazing what the duck can do... choosing her offspring!!

TTYL

Theyre all doing fine. The squished baby was just resting after hatching. There are six totak so far, with one egg that may yet hatch. One black, two silver and three goldens. Their mothers are wildtype mallards and their fathers could either be a mallard, a welsh harlequin or a mallard/runner cross. I know the mallard/runner drake is really fond of their mallard mothers, so he is more than likely the father.

Very angry broody mamas. They are positively ferocious!
Did both girls sit on the same eggs? Are they mothering the same lings? So sweet!

Last edited:
Yes, our husbands arms are so warm and comforting... hope he gets home soon. in the meantime here is a hug from me...:hugs
I am doing well, I miss my little buff duckling that i lost a week ago... i burried her in my garden.
our church had a fishing derby today and it turned out so nice. the kids had fun and won prizes and the food and fellowship was wonderful. thanks for asking. All 34 of my ducks are doing well, the ducks have getting a break from the drakes for the past 3 days, although my buff drakes always seems to find a way to where the ladies are, and i dont want them cross breeding, so i have to keep an eye on him. I have indian runners, buff O's and Pekins, oh a 2 blue swedes. they keep me very, very busy. thanks for asking.
i bet your ducklings are keeping you very busy also, huh?
take care, TTYL
sounds like you had a great day. Thanks for the hug. Surprisingly they do keep me very busy. Had no idea they would be this much work but they are so worth it.

we have only been in Arkansas for 4 years. We moved here from Missouri. Dont think i have family in Texas.
Arkansas is a great place to be, I was born there
smile.png

Did both girls sit on the same eggs?  Are they mothering the same lings?  So sweet!

Yes they sat together and hatched together. The eggs were never without someone sitting on them because they would take their breaks at different times. These two are sisters that weregiven to us last summer as orphans after their mom was hit by a car. The owner didn't have the means to care for ducklings so they begged us to take them. We brooded them in the house, and now they're inseparable, as you can clearly see lol.

@PotatoWaffles Hi, i am so glad all your lings are doing well. they are soooo cute. i love lings. yes, they can get ferocious and very protective, its amazing huh? how many ducks do you have?
have you read this site before?

http://www.webvet.com/main/2009/01/09/duck-mating-sex-lives-ducks
this is a portions of it....

"Feminine Wiles

As reported in the May 1, 2007 issue of New York Times Science, Brennan concluded that the elaborate anatomy of female ducks had evolved in response to, and as a countermeasure against, aggressive males.

“Once they choose a male, they’re making the best possible choice, and that’s the male they want siring their offspring,” she said. “They don’t want the guy flying in from who knows where. It makes sense that they would develop a defense.”

Females protect themselves from undesired insemination through their long and complex oviduct (the equivalent of the vagina in birds). Brennan found that the vaginal tubes were not straight but had “all these weird structures, these pockets and spirals.” This served to impede the sperm’s fertilization mission; unwanted sperm could be stored in side chambers to be ejected later. The success of this design is proven by the fact that as many as one in three duck matings are rapes, but in nine out of ten of these, the offending sperm is eliminated, so 97 percent of all duck offspring are the result of the choice of the mother."

I think this is amazing what the duck can do... choosing her offspring!!

TTYL

That is just the coolest. Ducks are awesome! I'm betting the father is my mallard/runner cross. They hung out together all the time. He's been quite lonely without them lol.

Theyre all doing fine. The squished baby was just resting after hatching. There are six totak so far, with one egg that may yet hatch. One black, two silver and three goldens. Their mothers are wildtype mallards and their fathers could either be a mallard, a welsh harlequin or a mallard/runner cross. I know the mallard/runner drake is really fond of their mallard mothers, so he is more than likely the father.

Very angry broody mamas. They are positively ferocious!
i hope in time my runners will be baby makers. I would like to have homemade ducklings at least once. To see how it is to see them pick there way out and all that cool stuff.:gig

Last edited:
Yes they sat together and hatched together. The eggs were never without someone sitting on them because they would take their breaks at different times. These two are sisters that weregiven to us last summer as orphans after their mom was hit by a car. The owner didn't have the means to care for ducklings so they begged us to take them. We brooded them in the house, and now they're inseparable, as you can clearly see lol.
That is just the coolest. Ducks are awesome! I'm betting the father is my mallard/runner cross. They hung out together all the time. He's been quite lonely without them lol.
That is so neat!

i hope in time my runners will be baby makers. I would like to have homemade ducklings at least once. To see how it is to see them pick there way out and all that cool stuff.
gig.gif
OMG it's the most amazing thing!
fl.gif
for homemade lings when yours grow up
smile.png
You could always get an incubator and then buy some eggs and hatch them yourself
big_smile.png
It's the most stressful thing but so rewarding.

I put a half of a bucket of ice in there water with electrolytes/vitamins for the night. was a very hot day for them. Does anyone have more ideas to help ducks keep cool at night? I dont give them food at night. I just give them 5 gallons of fresh water. I have seen people talk about fans. I dont have one they can use right now.

Back
Top Bottom