The Duck Thread

I put a half of a bucket of ice in there water with electrolytes/vitamins for the night. was a very hot day for them. Does anyone have more ideas to help ducks keep cool at night? I dont give them food at night. I just give them 5 gallons of fresh water. I have seen people talk about fans. I dont have one they can use right now.
I just give mine plenty of water, too. What breed do you have? Runners? I believe runners do better than many other breeds in the heat.

I have a minor emergency my duck got into the next door woods and idk I think something bit her:( she seems ok for the most part I've been cleaning her wounds which haven't bled at all..is she going to be ok is this something that needs to be checked by a vet
What kind of a bite? Dog, snake? Clean the bite with hydrogen peroxide, keep her warm. Be sure she has water and feed close, she will probably be okay. It is amazing what kind of injuries they can recover from!

I have a minor emergency my duck got into the next door woods and idk I think something bit her:( she seems ok for the most part I've been cleaning her wounds which haven't bled at all..is she going to be ok is this something that needs to be checked by a vet
Sorry we missed this earlier.

What kind of a bite? Dog, snake? Clean the bite with hydrogen peroxide, keep her warm. Be sure she has water and feed close, she will probably be okay. It is amazing what kind of injuries they can recover from!
Hydrogen Peroxide is a debriding agent. Use it to remove dead, damaged, or infected tissue to improve the healing potential of the remaining healthy tissue for the first couple of cleanings only. If she stops eating or becomes sluggish I would then take her to a Vet.

PS. Hydrogen Peroxide is great for getting blood out of clothing. Keep us posted. Wishing her a speedy recovery.

Last edited:
@dianaduck

sad to see the news of the attack.

Storey's Guide suggests clipping the feathers around the edges of wounds so you can see what's going on. Be sure to check around the vent and under the wings, too.

Ducks can recover from serious injury - and you need to be watchful in case anything gets infected.

A good duck vet is always helpful, but not always possible.

I agree about just using the peroxide a time or two at first - then switch to either Vetericyn or saline solution, and rinse four times a day - and keep the duck away from where flies can lay their eggs in the wound.

We got the computer fan builted to wood ready to go up in dog house. And we put the water fountain together. Waiting to get a small fitting for the hose to install it. Partner very happy with that choice..

Two of my Khaki Campbell girls have been missing for the last two weeks but today they came out for water and one of them I managed to follow back to her nest and found she has 8 ducks eggs in her nest
clap.gif

Back
Top Bottom