The Duck Thread

My husband says that they can't see, that racket we hear is because they can't see and are running into each other and things in the coop! I can just picture it!! LOL

M
too funny. I leave a light on for mine at night. They can get in their houses where it's darker but there is always a light on in the pen.

My geese do the same thing so I am guessing they also have the near/far dual vision thing. And, they always use the same side to look up in the sky.
Very interesting.

Now i have 3 maybe four with raspy voices. Im worried.
barnie.gif
How many females do you think you have? Maybe they will all get along.

no idea. I have a total of 14 runners
I have a flock of 16 Cayugas with two males and they are fine. Then I have a mixed flock of three females and three females and they do fine as well...I know it is not a good gender mix but so far no one is hurting anyone else. The three males sort of hang out together and the females protect one another.

Hello all! I've been buuuuuuusy! I took in another retired show rabbit. A Dutch, who is such a beautiful big eyed girl. My ducks are doing well, the males are still living in the orchard, instead of their pen and by the pond... :/ the ladies are getting SO big! They don't even eat baby food anymore. I miss my lings. Next year I'm getting 3 more Quackers, but they will be juvenile calls. Hope everyone else's ducks are well!

The bottom of our duck pen is just dirt and packed poop
1f61d.png
We want to put in some kind of "flooring" that will be easier to clean and safe for our duck babies and maybe keep down the ants when they make a mess with their food
1f601.png
At least be able to easily clean up the food that they spill. Any suggestions???!!?

To whoever asked about flying before... Our 10 wk old mallards fly pretty well, welshie can get a foot or so off the ground and our pekin just flaps his big old wings and tries to keep up with the rest
1f60a.png
Our mallards (for now) always fly right back to the others. And the landings are still a bit rough

The bottom of our duck pen is just dirt and packed poop
1f61d.png
We want to put in some kind of "flooring" that will be easier to clean and safe for our duck babies and maybe keep down the ants when they make a mess with their food
1f601.png
At least be able to easily clean up the food that they spill. Any suggestions???!!?

To whoever asked about flying before... Our 10 wk old mallards fly pretty well, welshie can get a foot or so off the ground and our pekin just flaps his big old wings and tries to keep up with the rest
1f60a.png
Our mallards (for now) always fly right back to the others. And the landings are still a bit rough

I just use a tarp covered by bedding. Easy to clean the soiled bedding off of and if it gets really gross you can just yank the tarp out and hose it down.

Well the neighbor's ducks came over today (two pekins, a male and female) and I usually don't mind them visiting even though they eat my food but the male today kept trying to forcibly mate with Sugar, who is broody and wants none of it. Poor Hershey was trying to fight him off but he's a welshie and the pekin male is much bigger than him. So the first time I just walked over and knocked the male off. The second time I actually lifted him off her, carried him back towards the neighbor's place, and set him down. He came back and did it again, so the third time I tossed him off her and then chased him away, clapping loudly and making like I was going to try to grab him. It worked and he stayed away from her, but now I feel a little bad about it. He kept his distance from me and chicken/duck area for the rest of the time he was around. I only feel bad because I don't think the neighbors really feed them and they might only get to eat at my place. As I said, I really don't mind them visiting and I don't mind feeding them, so I hope they do come back if they get hungry - as long as the drake leaves Sugar alone.

Well the neighbor's ducks came over today (two pekins, a male and female) and I usually don't mind them visiting even though they eat my food but the male today kept trying to forcibly mate with Sugar, who is broody and wants none of it. Poor Hershey was trying to fight him off but he's a welshie and the pekin male is much bigger than him. So the first time I just walked over and knocked the male off. The second time I actually lifted him off her, carried him back towards the neighbor's place, and set him down. He came back and did it again, so the third time I tossed him off her and then chased him away, clapping loudly and making like I was going to try to grab him. It worked and he stayed away from her, but now I feel a little bad about it. He kept his distance from me and chicken/duck area for the rest of the time he was around. I only feel bad because I don't think the neighbors really feed them and they might only get to eat at my place. As I said, I really don't mind them visiting and I don't mind feeding them, so I hope they do come back if they get hungry - as long as the drake leaves Sugar alone.
Will they come back if they get hungry, absolutely they will. Will the drake leave Sugar alone. Probably not. Watch him when he is there and just keep stopping his behavior. He will continue and you will have to stop things. Life with ducks can be such a challenge.

Back
Top Bottom