The Duck Thread

Please help me I need to know how old these eggs are and if they are okay? They look like they are around 25 days and very veiny but there is this liquid near the air sack and I don't get any movement but one wiggling in water
[/IMG][/IMG]
i dont see any liquid "in" the air sac, in these pics.
are they from your bator? did your duck sit on them? do you have a stethoscope to listen for sound? do they smell bad?
if they do not smell bad, if there is sounds of life, then put them back where you got them and let them be for a few days. if they came from your bator, then turn off the egg turner or stop turning them and put some moisture in the bator. and fyi: try not to turn them upside down like you did for the picture, poor little ducky, if it is alive in there.
hope this helps?

are they from your bator? did your duck sit on them? do you have a stethoscope to listen for sound? do they smell bad?
if they do not smell bad, if there is sounds of life, then put them back where you got them and let them be for a few days. if they came from your bator, then turn off the egg turner or stop turning them and put some moisture in the bator. and fyi: try not to turn them upside down like you did for the picture, poor little ducky, if it is alive in there.
hope this helps?
okay I'll try and use a stethoscope and I heard you don't turn them anymore thank you so much and they don't smell bad at all and the liquid is around the air sack

I am having a hard time figuring out how to post a question but I am hoping some one can help me, I ran out of the chicken/duck food and only have medicated, can I give it to my ducks for just one feeding or will it make them really sick??

I am having a hard time figuring out how to post a question but I am hoping some one can help me, I ran out of the chicken/duck food and only have medicated, can I give it to my ducks for just one feeding or will it make them really sick??

Well one feeding will be okay but for one feeding you can always just give them oats, corn, etc, lettuce, just for one feeding. Or mix two and two.

So, it's medicated adult food or starter? Just wondering.

There are a number of people who feed medicated chick starter with no apparent ill effect. I avoided it because I would rather not medicate if there is no need - ducklings are generally hardier than chicks, I am told.

There are a number of other things they can eat, short term...if these are ducklings, though, they need to have already had a small amount of chick grit over several days in order to be able to digest non-bagged feed without the risk of impaction.

okay I'll try and use a stethoscope and I heard you don't turn them anymore thank you so much and they don't smell bad at all and the liquid is around the air sack
if the liquid is below the AC=air cell and is sloshing around in there when you barely move the egg, that is not good.

@mischievouslady Your photography talents are amazing. good job on the pictures of your ducks. they are beautiful ducks. you have a talent. thanks for sharing your pics.
X3

Thanks. It's a drake so I think I will rehome/eat him.
x2 not judging, just sad such a beauty
Quote:
I agree, don't let anyone make you feel guilty. I personally don't eat mine but I will respect anyone's choice to do so. They are after all livestock, and were developed to provide food. Plus it can be very hard to find a home for a drake - no one wants them, just as with roosters. They want the females for eggs and that's it. And for most people it's not feasible to keep and feed a separate pen of a bunch of drakes that give nothing back.
X2

So, it's medicated adult food or starter? Just wondering.

There are a number of people who feed medicated chick starter with no apparent ill effect. I avoided it because I would rather not medicate if there is no need - ducklings are generally hardier than chicks, I am told.

There are a number of other things they can eat, short term...if these are ducklings, though, they need to have already had a small amount of chick grit over several days in order to be able to digest non-bagged feed without the risk of impaction.
X2 Don't forget the grit. I've read that the ingredient that used to make ducks sick in a medicated feed is no longer used. I wish I could find the link
barnie.gif

how old are your ducks? if they are only a few weeks old, i would not give them too much lettuce and vegies and always give them some grit w/any foods other than duck/chicken crumble. you can scramble up some chicken or duck eggs and feed them that, tomatoe, cook up some oatmeal w/probiotic yogurt, frozen vegies thawed all these together or seperate and dont forget the grit & niacin or brewers yeast if they are under 15 wks old... you can even add a small amount of rice.
there is a duck treat thread that will help w/foods they can have...
https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/242460/the-ultimate-list-of-duck-treats-and-supplements
hope this helps you

Please help me I need to know how old these eggs are and if they are okay? They look like they are around 25 days and very veiny but there is this liquid near the air sack and I don't get any movement but one wiggling in water
[/URL]
hope this helps?
X2 do tell us more if you can. What kind of eggs are they?
They look like they have dipped or are very close to dip down. Liquid below the AC still needs to be absorbed, no worries there since you don't know what day they are on. As the duck starts to turn to get into position, shadows will start to appear along the edges. IF internally pipped, you should be able to see the beak in the AC. I'm not seeing any of this so they have not internally pipped. You can listen for peeps to determine internal pips as well.

welcome-byc.gif

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom