The Duck Thread

I need help!!! I have 4 ducks (2 Pekins and 2 Rouens) a male and female of each. They are free range all day and I have a house with a small yard for them at night. They used to go in their house easily, I would put some food in and they would run up the ramp and I would close the door. Now they refuse to go in. They even go in shifts to eat the food so I cannot close them all in. I don't know what to do. We don't have any predators in my neighborhood unless a neighbors dog gets loose, at least that I know of. The main problem is that I am hoping to collect their eggs but who knows where they might lay them in the yard. They are young. Born just before Easter. Any ideas??
welcome-byc.gif
Have they maybe outgrown their house? Do they all get along? The girls might not be wanting to go in with the boys.

Ewww, hope you get that sucker!! My neighbors caught 2 turtles, after one got one of their Indies. Now none of the ducks will get near the pond. Can't even throw them in the water. They scurry right back out. Good luck!!
Thank you, me too! Unfortunately mine didn't all get the message. This is the second attack I'm treating
barnie.gif
Did they say how they managed to catch the turtles?

HI
frow.gif
@Ren2014 Hope your not using a shovel to re dig lol that may take a while ..How are your 2 patients doing?
Well actually... my DH and BIL are using a backhoe and a tractor. When it comes to things they let me do, I have to use a shovel
th.gif

I say that isn't fair, lol.
Here are two pics at the start of it all.

That's AC the puppy in training to the right under the duck shade, lol. He's a big boy now and still all puppy. He's showing real promise though.

Best of luck. I hope you get that turtle soon!! Keep us updated on your progress.
Thank you.

I just try my best, JB... can't afford vet bill, and most around here only do large livestock or cats & dogs, so I learn the most I can and aply most appropriate treatment...

Eyes are little less swollen and looking a tiny bit clearer now...
Thanks, Miss Lydia...
hugs.gif

She is doing better, luckily it doesn't appear that she ingested anything... eyes are getting clearer each day...
So glad to hear she is doing better.

I just try my best, JB... can't afford vet bill, and most around here only do large livestock or cats & dogs, so I learn the most I can and aply most appropriate treatment...

Eyes are little less swollen and looking a tiny bit clearer now...
Thanks, Miss Lydia...
hugs.gif

She is doing better, luckily it doesn't appear that she ingested anything... eyes are getting clearer each day...
Glad she's continuing to improve!
hugs.gif

My husband put up a sign at our new place and have started selling our duck and chicken eggs. $2 a dozen, $1.50 if they bring their own carton. Holy cow! I sold two dozen a couple days ago and three dozen today. I don't think we have enough birds to keep up with the demand lol. But unfortunately people want chicken eggs more than duck eggs, sigh. We only have four chickens among our fifteen or so ducks, and they don't lay every day like the ducks do. So I only get two or three chicken eggs a day. Might need to get a couple of those leghorns that lay two eggs a day, lol. But I'm hoping if I start throwing a couple ducks eggs in with each batch of chicken eggs I sell, maybe people will warm up to them. But anyways, I'm glad to be selling our "egg-cess" eggs :)

My husband put up a sign at our new place and have started selling our duck and chicken eggs. $2 a dozen, $1.50 if they bring their own carton. Holy cow! I sold two dozen a couple days ago and three dozen today. I don't think we have enough birds to keep up with the demand lol. But unfortunately people want chicken eggs more than duck eggs, sigh. We only have four chickens among our fifteen or so ducks, and they don't lay every day like the ducks do. So I only get two or three chicken eggs a day. Might need to get a couple of those leghorns that lay two eggs a day, lol. But I'm hoping if I start throwing a couple ducks eggs in with each batch of chicken eggs I sell, maybe people will warm up to them. But anyways, I'm glad to be selling our "egg-cess" eggs :)

I would throw in a few duck eggs free with however many chicken eggs you sale. That will get people to try them ad least lol. :)

Does anyone know if feather sexing works on day old Pekin ducklings? I have a duckling in my bator starting to hatch I believe it's internally pipped or at least it looks and sounds like it so once I can I'd really like to know the sex especially because I only want hens.

My husband put up a sign at our new place and have started selling our duck and chicken eggs. $2 a dozen, $1.50 if they bring their own carton. Holy cow! I sold two dozen a couple days ago and three dozen today. I don't think we have enough birds to keep up with the demand lol. But unfortunately people want chicken eggs more than duck eggs, sigh. We only have four chickens among our fifteen or so ducks, and they don't lay every day like the ducks do. So I only get two or three chicken eggs a day. Might need to get a couple of those leghorns that lay two eggs a day, lol. But I'm hoping if I start throwing a couple ducks eggs in with each batch of chicken eggs I sell, maybe people will warm up to them. But anyways, I'm glad to be selling our "egg-cess" eggs
smile.png
Congratulations on the sales. I've had the same problem here. I end up tossing so many duck eggs it's really sad.

Here are our 3 stooges lol the rouen is clover. The black swedish hen is boo and the blue swedish is perry. Love these guys and gal..
smile.png
Beautiful! I had a black swedish name Boo
smile.png

Don't toss duck eggs if you have dogs feed them the extras. My dogs love them I cook them or steam them for them that way they don't associate them with the real egg they see. Baked goods are awesome with duck eggs.

I only know of 1 person who eats duck eggs besides us and i give them away to him. I don't advertise though.

Don't toss duck eggs if you have dogs feed them the extras. My dogs love them I cook them or steam them for them that way they don't associate them with the real egg they see. Baked goods are awesome with duck eggs.

I only know of 1 person who eats duck eggs besides us and i give them away to him. I don't advertise though.
I scramble my extra duck eggs and mix them with their dry food. Our dogs love it. Not every day though. Also, if you have not tried them, they make great waffles and fluffy pancakes.

We found it impossible to sell duck eggs here in West Texas (your basic meat and potatoes part of the state) so donate them to a local food pantry. Once the folks got them and got over the concept of cute little ducklings they now are asking for the duck eggs over the chicken eggs we donate.

Back
Top Bottom