The Duck Thread

I scramble my extra duck eggs and mix them with their dry food. Our dogs love it. Not every day though. Also, if you have not tried them, they make great waffles and fluffy pancakes.

We found it impossible to sell duck eggs here in West Texas (your basic meat and potatoes part of the state) so donate them to a local food pantry. Once the folks got them and got over the concept of cute little ducklings they now are asking for the duck eggs over the chicken eggs we donate.
Right I feed the eggs every other day to my dogs not everyday.

So my husband came home yesterday with four grown chickens to add to our own four chickens to help meet the demand of chicken eggs. I did a count,and now with the added chickens, I have 26 birds in my little backyard! It's just way too many.

So I'm looking at downsizing my flock for the sake of my yard and overcrowding the birds. And since no one cares for duck eggs, it's all ducks that will have to go :( My mallard sisters and their six week old brood of seven (four boys, three girls), Potato and mallard drake, Pteroducktyl the chocolate runner girl and Duckasaurus the fawn/white runner girl are all probably going to have to go, one way or the other :(

I would like to rehome at least the two runners, since they are good laying birds. The mallards and mutt babies may just have to be culled. My husband said he has had enough of my "feelings" and attachments and not wanting to butcher ducks. Sigh.

I'm waiting to hear back if his parents want to take any of the ducks. If not, I am in northwest ohio if anyone wants ducks lol.

Right I feed  the eggs every other day to my dogs  not everyday.

Yes same here. All the extra eggs we scramble and give as treats to our ducks and chickens. :)

So my husband came home yesterday with four grown chickens to add to our own four chickens to help meet the demand of chicken eggs. I did a count,and now with the added chickens, I have 26 birds in my little backyard! It's just way too many.

So I'm looking at downsizing my flock for the sake of my yard and overcrowding the birds. And since no one cares for duck eggs, it's all ducks that will have to go :( My mallard sisters and their six week old brood of seven (four boys, three girls), Potato and mallard drake, Pteroducktyl the chocolate runner girl and Duckasaurus the fawn/white runner girl are all probably going to have to go, one way or the other :(

I would like to rehome at least the two runners, since they are good laying birds. The mallards and mutt babies may just have to be culled. My husband said he has had enough of my "feelings" and attachments and not wanting to butcher ducks. Sigh.

I'm waiting to hear back if his parents want to take any of the ducks. If not, I am in northwest ohio if anyone wants ducks lol.

Hubby sounds a bit high handed to me. My husband would be on a the chopping block if he dared touch one of my animals. I'd hand him his balls on a platter!!

Yes same here. All the extra eggs we scramble and give as treats to our ducks and chickens. :)
Hubby sounds a bit high handed to me. My husband would be on a the chopping block if he dared touch one of my animals. I'd hand him his balls on a platter!!

He just sees things differently than I do. The birds are livestock to him and pets to me. We have to compromise and get rid of some, and he's getting annoyed that I don't want to butcher them all. He just doesn't understand. I probably shouldn't throw him under the bus like that but I'm just a little frustrated. He brings home these birds without talking to me first, and now we have these hard decisions to make.

We always figured on culling the boys of the brood, but now, because of the new chickens, the parents are on the chopping block. I tried to make the best decision I could on who to get rid of. The mallards and mallard mutts are unahndle-able and unfriendly, don't produce many eggs, and the male is mating the girls to the point of exhaustion. So they're the obvious choice. The two runners I really wish I could keep, but we just don't have the room now. If I can't find them a home myself, I'll drop them off at the nearby rescue. They adopt out livestock all the time. I just hate not knowing where they are going. Sighhhh

Last edited:

She loves to snuggle her nose and hide it

Muscovy i didnt know for a long time what she was untill i posted pics on here and some people told me

Well she is just adorable!! I thought muscovy had the red masks though? Or is that just the males? I don't know much about them other then what wonderful mothers they are. We were thinking about trying a few next year along with a few cuyaga, hope that's spelled right lol.

@Julie Bird @Miss Lydia @Debs Flock @WVduckchick
@Ren2014 @mischievouslady @jenniferlamar70

And anyone else I might have missed, sorry...

Update on Io and her eyes...

Io is pleased to let everyone who wished her well that her eyes are completely better now!! :celebrate
She is back to her happy, easygoing ducky self! :D

Irrigated her eyes with saline, then Vetericyn rinse, Ciprofloxacin eye drops and Terramycin/Erythromycin ointment treatments 3x per day fixed her up quick... just a bit of advice for anyone that might have an eye issue, plenty of flushes of the eyes is one of the best things you can do... Io was turning her head into the flushes by day 2... :)

Oh, and we also found her hidden nest! Had to move it due to safety issues, but she was so adorable sitting there... looks like she might have broke her broodiness by moving but felt that was better than leaving her out unprotected...

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom