The Duck Thread

Half related post:
If you remember Donald had big black calluses of sorts on both his feet but the injured side had a worse one. But we did remove it and it healed up nicely. At the vet today she said those are not good for them. She mentioned she'd like to take it off of the other foot as well (I will do it when he is well again). I remember someone mentioned their ducks have them as well, this might help if anyone is wondering if they should remove them or not... Vet said yes
1f615.png
It's not fun but it really didn't bother him at all.

Before

After

Healed

I took my bum leg Donald to the vet today, she doesn't think his foot was bumblefoot or related directly to his knee swelling now. We have an antibiotic and anti-inflammatory/pain med for him. We will take him back next week. The antibiotic is a liquid, I tried squirting it on bread but he wouldn't touch it, he was also pretty stressed from the whole morning and "threw up" on the way home
1f615.png
Any suggestions on something safe for me to put it on/in that might be better than bread? I've never given them bread as I have read its not great for them, none of the other ducks would eat the bread I threw them this afternoon either, so maybe my ducks don't like bread? lol

He took a selfie at the vet
1f61c.png

Awwwh precious!

I use thawed frozen peas, and mash a few so more medicine sticks to it.
X2 I've never had to give oral medication but peas are the way I would go. Mine LOVE peas.

We've been getting some good rains here in Texas. My heart goes out to those in LA and MS that are flooded. Our re-dug duck pond has filled up
wee.gif

I took my bum leg Donald to the vet today, she doesn't think his foot was bumblefoot or related directly to his knee swelling now. We have an antibiotic and anti-inflammatory/pain med for him. We will take him back next week. The antibiotic is a liquid, I tried squirting it on bread but he wouldn't touch it, he was also pretty stressed from the whole morning and "threw up" on the way home
1f615.png
Any suggestions on something safe for me to put it on/in that might be better than bread? I've never given them bread as I have read its not great for them, none of the other ducks would eat the bread I threw them this afternoon either, so maybe my ducks don't like bread? lol

1f61c.png

Mine won't touch bread either... guess we have smart ducks that know what's not really good for them, lol...

I use thawed frozen peas, and mash a few so more medicine sticks to it.

X3

And if that still doesn't work, I suggest a syringe and a small piece of aquarium tubing... it's easier than you think, but you'lll need to practice a bit to know how much air to keep in the syringe to push all the meds into his crop... if you need help, feel free to PM me, I've done tubing on a Call and it's much easier and less stressful than you would think... well, at least for them, lol... hope he gets better soon...

We've been getting some good rains here in Texas. My heart goes out to those in LA and MS that are flooded. Our re-dug duck pond has filled up:weee
Nice pond redo!!! Speaking of LA... we have a dear friend in Zachary... her home was destroyed and she lost all her flock except a few... please take a moment to send good thoughts, energy or prayers her way and towards all the others devasted by this mass flooding...

We've been getting some good rains here in Texas. My heart goes out to those in LA and MS that are flooded. Our re-dug duck pond has filled up:weee
Fabbbbbulous!!
Nice pond redo!!! Speaking of LA... we have a dear friend in Zachary... her home was destroyed and she lost all her flock except a few... please take a moment to send good thoughts, energy or prayers her way and towards all the others devasted by this mass flooding...
I didn't hear she got to check on the birds? Bummer. :(

1f615.png

1f61c.png

Donald I'd a very cute duck and takes excellent selfies:) Sorry, I dont know if I canhelp you about his meds. I only give my ducks their feed, a bit of scratch & oyster shell on occasion now. I think they'll eat romaine lettuce though. I used to give it to mine,and they loved it.

Back
Top Bottom