The Duck Thread

Well, I acquired more ducks from the neighbors that don't feed their animals enough. They are all juvenile females (meaning they bought them this year, because they needed more ducks, obviously) and they appear to be a black swedish, a rouen, and a khaki campbell. If they want to stay, I'll keep them. They can be Sugar's new flock. They seem pretty content to stay. Probably happy that they found food and shelter and swimming water.
Your so sweet to care.
hugs.gif

Hello and good day. I am new when it comes to raising ducks but have grown chickens for decades. My question is, my Peking just started laying eggs. I have 6 males and only 1 female. Her eggs smell like fresh fish right out of the ocean and they taste almost similar. How does one get rid of that. They get fresh water everyday. Any help would be great.

Hello and good day. I am new when it comes to raising ducks but have grown chickens for decades. My question is, my Peking just started laying eggs. I have 6 males and only 1 female. Her eggs smell like fresh fish right out of the ocean and they taste almost similar. How does one get rid of that. They get fresh water everyday. Any help would be great.
don't know about the smell but you might want to think about getting more females or rehoming some of the males.

don't know about the smell but you might want to think about getting more females or rehoming some of the males.
Very good advise since your poor female is probably looking pretty ratty having 6 drakes mating with her and they can also injure her or kill her from over mating.

You didn't say what you are feeding your ducks, that may have something to do with smell also, plus I think yeast infection can cause fishy smell might ought to research yeast infection. Do you notice any whitish discharge coming out of your female?

Very good advise since your poor female is probably looking pretty ratty having 6 drakes mating with her and they can also injure her or kill her from over mating.

You didn't say what you are feeding your ducks, that may have something to do with smell also, plus I think yeast infection can cause fishy smell might ought to research yeast infection. Do you notice any whitish discharge coming out of your female?

I am looking for more females but am having no luck at the moment. I do not notice any white discharge coming from her. They are 22 weeks old by the way. I was told as long as I keep scratch with them they can have the chicken layer feed as well. I have a rather decent pen it houses 18 hens, 1 rooster, 6 Drake Peking, 1 hen Peking. All Pekings where raised together from hatchlings.

I am looking for more females but am having no luck at the moment. I do not notice any white discharge coming from her. They are 22 weeks old by the way. I was told as long as I keep scratch with them they can have the chicken layer feed as well. I have a rather decent pen it houses 18 hens, 1 rooster, 6 Drake Peking, 1 hen Peking. All Pekings where raised together from hatchlings.

I would seperate the drakes from the hen and chickens until you have more hens. Drakes can be brutal even raping a female as well as trying to breed your chickens which can kill them.

Well, I acquired more ducks from the neighbors that don't feed their animals enough. They are all juvenile females (meaning they bought them this year, because they needed more ducks, obviously) and they appear to be a black swedish, a rouen, and a khaki campbell. If they want to stay, I'll keep them. They can be Sugar's new flock. They seem pretty content to stay. Probably happy that they found food and shelter and swimming water.
lucky for them you are close by i dont understand people that get animals and then not take care of them we had a rooster show up on saturday ( beautiful boy)thought he left , we couldnt find him that evening, next morning found him in the coop, hubby took him to were we thought he might live since they are new people that moved in came home from church and found him in the feed shed sleeping on the straw
smile.png
poor baby so we now have another roo !!

Terrible last 2 weeks, all of a sudden my jumbo Pekin (5 months old) went missing, then one of the Cayuga went missing, figured we had a predator snatching them but the game camera wasn't showing anything. I penned all the ducks up for safety but had to let them out to hose out their enclosure, another Cayuga disappeared! Right under my nose!!!! The camera caught a picture! A coyote! I couldn't believe it came after them with me that close! Then today I go out and one of the Black Swedish ducks is down, she won't/can't walk, she isn't drinking or eating. I have separated her and given her water close but I don't expect she will live much longer.

THEN last night the camera picked up a bobcat!!!! So now I have 2 predators to worry about. My husband is sitting out on the porch now trying to shoot the coyote.

Bummer 2 weeks!!! I am now down to 1 Black Swedish (5 months old) and 2 adult Pekins (2 years)!

hit.gif

I'm sure they are very happy. If I was a neglected duck I would want to end up at your place
smile.png

Quote:
welcome-byc.gif
That many males to one girl is not healthy. I'm not saying that's the reason but it isn't good for her. I would separate them and see if you notice a difference in her eggs.

X2
@Jdfamman check your feed label for rapeseed or canola. Too much of these can cause a fishy smell.

I would seperate the drakes from the hen and chickens until you have more hens. Drakes can be brutal even raping a female as well as trying to breed your chickens which can kill them.
X2

Terrible last 2 weeks, all of a sudden my jumbo Pekin (5 months old) went missing, then one of the Cayuga went missing, figured we had a predator snatching them but the game camera wasn't showing anything. I penned all the ducks up for safety but had to let them out to hose out their enclosure, another Cayuga disappeared! Right under my nose!!!! The camera caught a picture! A coyote! I couldn't believe it came after them with me that close! Then today I go out and one of the Black Swedish ducks is down, she won't/can't walk, she isn't drinking or eating. I have separated her and given her water close but I don't expect she will live much longer.

THEN last night the camera picked up a bobcat!!!! So now I have 2 predators to worry about. My husband is sitting out on the porch now trying to shoot the coyote.

Bummer 2 weeks!!! I am now down to 1 Black Swedish (5 months old) and 2 adult Pekins (2 years)!

hit.gif
hugs.gif

hit.gif
Update: I just checked on her, she is still with us. I am surprised, actually looks better. I have given her electrolytes in a waterer right beside her, but she isn't eating. We'll see what tomorrow brings.

Back
Top Bottom