The Duck Thread

Asking for a little help from my duck-loving friends. I entered a Pets on Quilts photo contest with a picture of my ducks on a quilt that I made. Can you please vote for #38? In the process you could win a little prize too. http://lilypadquilting.blogspot.com/2016/08/its-time-to-vote-who-will-win-pets-on.html#comment-form

https://lilypadquilting.blogspot.com/2016/08/pets-on-quilts-2016-its-here.html

You can see all the entries at the above link. Categories are:
Cats
Dogs
Other
Pet-Themed quilts

Thanks!

Last edited:
I am not a duck owner but I've always loved ducks! How often do ducks lay eggs? do their eggs taste like chicken eggs?

Depends on the breed of duck, I think, how often they lay, but I have black Swedish that lays pretty much every day. I just got my first egg from her today, after she hatched a bunch of babies! I was so excited to see her laying again.

Duck eggs are wonderful! Especially for baking, I think most people agree with that. At least I've read that alot, and I love making cakes and brownies with my duck eggs. But they are great scrambled, fried, etc.

Personally I think all poultry egg taste depends alot on their feed.

I have Ancona ducks. They lay pretty much every day... but this summer was extra hot and my one duck old enough to lay went broody. Broody duck (she wants to hatch eggs instead of lay them) and the heat meant no eggs for the last 45 or so days. I expect her (and the ducks hatched in March) to start laying about six eggs a week (each) by the end of September.

Duck eggs when scrambled or boiled seem to taste the same as chicken eggs to me. BUT when I bake cookies or cakes with them they make the baked goods delicious. Even my sister-in-law would ask what I did different to my chocolate chips cookies because they were so much better. Duck eggs have more fat in them thus making them richer in baked goods.

Since I started eating duck eggs, my cholesterol has dropped from 205 to 185. The only change I really made was the type of eggs I ate. They have the "good" cholesterol in them.

Ok, so my daddy duck is chasing around one young duck. The young ones are 12 weeks. I can't tell if he is trying to mate the young one, or picking on it. I'm still not sure if that one is male or female. I thought male because I haven't heard it quack yet, but its quiet overall.

Anyway, I cleaned the pool and the 4 young ones wanted to swim and daddy wouldn't leave the alone! I finally caught him and held him a while to give them some peace in the pool.

Should I assume she's a female, or is he as likely just picking on one of the boys? He never caught it long enough to climb on. Lol
my daddy duck did the same thing to the babies he is getting better about not nipping at them now, my babies are now 3 months old and he will still nip at them once in a while

Can anyone tell me when I should be able to voice sex my Pekin ducklings? They are almost a month old and are starting to go from peeping to quacking. I think one is a boy but when they're this young in not sure what gender sounds like what. Also I read that drakes tend to have their tales parallel with their body while hens hold them up. Is this accurate or just a myth?

Back
Top Bottom