The Duck Thread

Sorry I didn't answer yesterday! She's hanging in there. Unfortunately the side of her face that was wounded has swelled up so one of her eyes is swelled shut. There is also some odd structure that has been exposed by the wound that I hope won't impede healing. I'm putting DermaCleanse on the wound twice a day and giving aspirin for the pain and the swelling. She is up and eating and drinking so
fl.gif
If she makes it she's going to need a really good name.
How about "Miracle"
I sure hope she pulls through. They really are amazing what they can over come. Eating and drinking are always good signs too.
X2

Sorry I didn't answer yesterday! She's hanging in there. Unfortunately the side of her face that was wounded has swelled up so one of her eyes is swelled shut. There is also some odd structure that has been exposed by the wound that I hope won't impede healing. I'm putting DermaCleanse on the wound twice a day and giving aspirin for the pain and the swelling. She is up and eating and drinking so :fl If she makes it she's going to need a really good name.

:fl :hugs

Try looking at the stickies at the top of the forum. There are some great ideas. Locking them in at night, electric fencing are good starts.

Hello! I live in Nebraska also and I was wondering if you've ever had any issues with daytime predators? I haven't but I was curious what your experience has been. This is the first time ive owned ducks. My ducks have a good sized fenced in pen but it's uncovered and they are locked in at night. So really the only time they'd be in danger is during the day...

Around here, foxes will nab ducks in the daytime, and hawks, and there are coyotes who come around when they have young to feed. Then there are the domestic dogs that occasionally break loose.

Ducky update, she's doing well, the wound is scabbing over, she's eating and drinking, and the swelling has gone down so her eye is now opening up again.

The problem I'm running into is whatever this odd structure is that was exposed by the attack isn't scabbing over like the rest of the wound. In fact, the wound is scabbing around it and leaving it exposed and in the way of healing, actually. Does anyone have any idea what it is? Maybe just a chunk of flesh? I'll put the picture below a spoiler, but the wound really isn't that nasty looking (take that with a grain of salt because I'm a vet tech student). It already looks so much better. The picture was taken before the morning wound cleaning and DermaCleanse application.

Ducky update, she's doing well, the wound is scabbing over, she's eating and drinking, and the swelling has gone down so her eye is now opening up again.

The problem I'm running into is whatever this odd structure is that was exposed by the attack isn't scabbing over like the rest of the wound. In fact, the wound is scabbing around it and leaving it exposed and in the way of healing, actually. Does anyone have any idea what it is? Maybe just a chunk of flesh? I'll put the picture below a spoiler, but the wound really isn't that nasty looking (take that with a grain of salt because I'm a vet tech student). It already looks so much better. The picture was taken before the morning wound cleaning and DermaCleanse application.
You probably know more than me but could it be muscle? how about showing this pic to one of your teachers?

Great to hear she is doing so much better.

You probably know more than me but could it be muscle? how about showing this pic to one of your teachers?

Great to hear she is doing so much better. 

What I should have done is taken a picture and brought it in to my avian vet yesterday when I took my parrot in for his checkup :/ Wish I'd thought of it. Maybe I'll give them call and see if they'd be willing to take a look at this picture and see what they think.

What I should have done is taken a picture and brought it in to my avian vet yesterday when I took my parrot in for his checkup
hmm.png
Wish I'd thought of it. Maybe I'll give them call and see if they'd be willing to take a look at this picture and see what they think.
If you use this vet often I'd think they'd be willing. I hope so.

@Pyxis. Could the wound be around the ear? Or is the ear the spot in front of the wound?
I've never looked for the ear on my ducks. This is a goose but I would think the ears would be in the same place.

Good luck, Linda

Back
Top Bottom