The Duck Thread

Hey guys, I got some ducklings from metzer farms. They are about a week old now. This morning after getting them water and food they started leaking mucus from their mouth and nose. I freaked out and cleared their passage ways. I took the food out because it seemed to be making it worse. Other then the mucus they act fine. Running around, playing in their water dish.

They drank too much too quickly and overfilled their crop so it started coming back up. I've had this happen before. It's scary, but it's nothing to worry about.

In other, sadder, news, the **** ravens got my duckling!!!! I had let the cemanis out to free range and the ravens went through the pop door into their run, then through the pop door into the coop, then got into the brooder and took my duckling out, into the run, and ate her :( All that was left was feathers.

And then they took two of the guinea keets that were in with her and were working on a third when I heard an unholy ruckus in the yard and went out to investigate. They had made an error and taken the third keet out of the coop and run and into the yard (or it took itself out there trying to get away), where its distress cries made my male guinea and my two juveniles from this year very angry. I went out to see the keet running for its life and the others pummeling the crap out of two ravens, who weren't backing down (until they caught site of me). So that keet got lucky and made it. It and the surviving keet were relocated to my Eglu coop which is totally raven proof.

So these ravens are likely to come down with a severe case of lead poisoning if I can get them. If not, they're liable to come down with a case of regular poisoning. Hope they like chicken with a side of rat poison.

They drank too much too quickly and overfilled their crop so it started coming back up. I've had this happen before. It's scary, but it's nothing to worry about.

In other, sadder, news, the **** ravens got my duckling!!!! I had let the cemanis out to free range and the ravens went through the pop door into their run, then through the pop door into the coop, then got into the brooder and took my duckling out, into the run, and ate her :( All that was left was feathers.

And then they took two of the guinea keets that were in with her and were working on a third when I heard an unholy ruckus in the yard and went out to investigate. They had made an error and taken the third keet out of the coop and run and into the yard (or it took itself out there trying to get away), where its distress cries made my male guinea and my two juveniles from this year very angry. I went out to see the keet running for its life and the others pummeling the crap out of two ravens, who weren't backing down (until they caught site of me). So that keet got lucky and made it. It and the surviving keet were relocated to my Eglu coop which is totally raven proof.

So these ravens are likely to come down with a severe case of lead poisoning if I can get them. If not, they're liable to come down with a case of regular poisoning. Hope they like chicken with a side of rat poison.

Oh, no!!!! :hit :hugs

In other, sadder, news, the **** ravens got my duckling!!!! I had let the cemanis out to free range and the ravens went through the pop door into their run, then through the pop door into the coop, then got into the brooder and took my duckling out, into the run, and ate her
sad.png
All that was left was feathers.

hugs.gif
so sorry about the little duckling and the keets they got. Glad one was able to get away.

fl.gif
you get them SOON!

Hey guys, I got some ducklings from metzer farms. They are about a week old now. This morning after getting them water and food they started leaking mucus from their mouth and nose. I freaked out and cleared their passage ways. I took the food out because it seemed to be making it worse. Other then the mucus they act fine. Running around, playing in their water dish.
when I got my baby's two of them was exactly like that but the day I got them. I called metzer and she told me it was from stress. To put some suger in there water or get the chick probiotic. Witch I had the probiotic already
1f606.png
and they was just fine the next day. No more duckling mucus.

OMG this is so awful. I'm so sorry.
1f622.png
I didn't know ravens would do somthing like this. So sorry for your lose.

Click click boom

Well all the stuff is gone. I'm wondering if it was because they dumped their water last night. I made a new waterer that I found in our brooder book. I'm going to see if this helps. If not I'll start them on antibiotics just I case it's an upper respiratory infection. They are all acting fine now though so I think it was something else. Just happy they are ok now. That really scared me.. :(

sounds like they had too much fun in the water and drank too much. sometimes when i pic up my ducks after eating & drinking if i press on their full croop their food and water will come out.
if they are ducklings they do need food and water 24/7. maybe you could use a chicken feeder (the ones w/many holes) and put their water in that, so they dont get into the water bowl and play in it. this is what i did for the first week or so.
personally i feed them their dry food and moisten it. i make it thin, this way they get water and food at the same time and it is easier on them than just dry food, IMO.
hope this helps someone.
thanks

Back
Top Bottom